KYB front shock bushings don't ft?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
tdskip
Your car is a: 1968 Spider

KYB front shock bushings don't ft?

Post by tdskip »

Good morning and Happy Easter / Sunday / Hopefully day were everyone is healthy.

Removed the original (!) front shocks on the 1968 124 yesterday and when I went to install the new KYB I realized they don't fit properly with the supplied shock top bushings.

The OE ones have a wider and lower profile than the ones that were supplied in the KYB packaging. The difference in the bushing height is enough to prevent the nut from threading on properly and it won't distribute any forces the same way.

Is this a know thing? Do I "just" need to order correct profile replacement bushings?

Thanks!
Last edited by tdskip on Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: KYB front shick bushings don't ft?

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

tdskip wrote:Is this a know thing? Do I "just" need to order correct profile replacement bushings?
My recollection is dim, but I think this very same question has come up on this forum before. The original rubber bushings were more doughnut shaped, whereas some replacement bushings that come with new shocks were more "bundt cake" shaped and thus didn't fit right.

To quote the Great Homer, "Mmmmm..... Doughnuts.... Arrrrrrrrhh......"

OK, with that now out of the way, I think the solution for you is new bushings of the original shape. By the way, the order for the bushing assembly is (from bottom to top): Shock, saucer washer, rubber bushing, hole in car body, rubber bushing, saucer washer, locknut. I've seen some Fiats with a lockwasher and a regular nut, and some with a true locknut with nylon insert. Not sure which is best.

-Bryan
tdskip

Re: KYB front shock bushings don't ft?

Post by tdskip »

Good morning and thanks as always for the follow up, especially with Simpson’s reference thrown into boot !

I’m pretty sure that the Alfa 105 series cars use the same size donut shaped bushing, let me see how many of those I have on hand.
Last edited by tdskip on Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
18Fiatsandcounting

Re: KYB front shick bushings don't ft?

I think those "doughnut" bushings are fairly common, as I occasionally see them by the side of the road during bike rides, and it's hard to believe they all came from Fiats. There's a good chance a tire/brakes/alignment shop might have some extras that they can give to you, or sell for cheap. Or your basic auto parts store. I don't think the size is all that critical, but you do want them to spread out to fill those saucer washers, when you tighten up the nut.

Exxxx-cellent, Smithers...

-Bryan
tdskip

Post by tdskip »

Keeping in the Simpson’s theme - Doh!

I just had to get more weight on the suspension and now I have enough thread, so the supplied bushings do fit properly, I was just doing it wrong.

Oops!
18Fiatsandcounting

Excellent, tdskip! Work hard and each day you'll get a shiny penny! :D

-Bryan