Gear shift lever extension/upper lever removal - problem

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
nicks
Your car is a: 1972 FIAT 124 Sport Spider BS1 1608cc

Gear shift lever extension/upper lever removal - problem

Post by nicks »

Hi all, need advice here please,

I'm replacing the rubber gaiter (located below the leather/fabric cover) and believe I need to remove the upper lever extension in order to position the new gaiter over the gear shift lever proper (in my 1972 BS1 5 speed). Centre console is out with fabric gaiter attached, cover plate is off and old rubber gaiter is chucked.

So my workshop manual states something like "this can be removed from the lower lever with a sharp pull" ..... after 2 hours of serious pulling by hand I've moved it precisely 6 mm and from the diagrams there's another 60mm to go. I'm assuming there's a problem with the block/bush/spacer/snap ring so have therefore given up as a) it doesn't look like I'll ever get it removed, and b) if its this hard to remove, its going to be near impossible to put back even if I do get it off.

My plan now is to leave it as is (can live with it being 6mm up) and cut a slit in the new gaiter top from the hole, that's big enough to get over the full gear lever and then close with a locking cable tie and maybe some glue.

If anyone can give me guidance or suggestions on how to proceed I'd really appreciate it.

Another question while I'm here, can I add grease into the top of the gearbox extension around the top linkage to reduce slack and noise during shifting ? There's plenty of oil in there but can I add grease as well as the oil ?

As always, thanks for being such a helpful forum,
Nick
tima01864
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: 1983 FIAT Pininafarina Spider 2000

Re: Gear shift lever extension/upper lever removal - problem

Post by tima01864 »

The plastic clip needs to be relieved with a screw driver or some sort with a little pressure and pull around the clip. Putting it back on is simply assembling the clips and holder in the gear shift lever in order and popping it back on
nicks
Your car is a: 1972 FIAT 124 Sport Spider BS1 1608cc

Post by nicks »

Hi, thanks for quick reply.
Do you mean the plastic clip at bottom of the upper lever, with mine now having 6mm visible below the chrome upper lever ? If so should I try to pull this clip down or squeeze inwards with a screwdriver (for example) ?

Cheers
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

nicks wrote:Hi, thanks for quick reply.
Do you mean the plastic clip at bottom of the upper lever, with mine now having 6mm visible below the chrome upper lever ? If so should I try to pull this clip down or squeeze inwards with a screwdriver (for example) ?

Cheers
Not sure of the state of yours now, but simply push the clip down. The clip really secures it in place, but once you get it to slide down it comes off easily.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Nick, here's a link to a picture of what you have inside that upper chrome shift lever:
https://autoricambi.us/collections/tran ... ushing-kit
(take a look at both pictures)

That off-white round plastic clip at the bottom, the one that sort of looks like a crown, can be difficult to remove. I usually end up breaking them (both intentionally and unintentionally), but fortunately you can buy new ones. There may be a special tool to remove this clip, but I have gotten it loose by inserting up to three small screwdrivers (2 to 3 inches long) up into the bottom of the upper lever, compressing the clip's tangs, while pulling on the upper knob.

Once this clip is removed, the pressure on the rubber sleeves is lessened and the upper lever usually slides off at that point.

To address your other question, grease around that ball and socket in the upper transmission cover would definitely help with ease of shifting, but I kinda doubt it would do much for reducing slack.

-Bryan
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Post by SpiderGuy »

Anyone have a picture of the Plastic retaining CLIP that holds the Upper Chrome Part to the Lower Shifter Shaft ??

If I knew what it looks like it might help to figure out how to squeeze or pry it to separate the 2 parts
I Tried the link for Brian's pic but it is expired or not found (the old error 404 page not found)
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Here's the updated link: https://autoricambi.us/shifter-extension-bushing-kit/

The clip that you need to remove is that round plastic, "crown-looking" thing. Best method to remove is to take two very small screwdrivers, like jeweler's screwdrivers, on either side below the bottom lip of the chrome extension, and work them around to grab the slots in the plastic clip, then use the bottom of the chrome piece as a fulcrum to pry out the clip. Takes a bit of practice, but works quite well once you've gotten the hang of it.

After that, the chrome extension should just pull off. Those crown clips often break, so be prepared to buy a new one.

-Bryan
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Post by SpiderGuy »

Thanks Brian, got it and now we even know what its called ( Shifter Extension Bushing)