Antennae placement...and...side moulding??

General chat about the car goes in here.
TVST*R

Antennae placement...and...side moulding??

Post by TVST*R »

On a 1977,where was the original antennae placed? Mine is
on the pass. side on the plate by the wiper arm.

Also-
I don't think these had Ext. trim along the door etc.,...mine does. Has anyone taken the trim off and patched the screw holes? What
did you use?
T 8)
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

seems like the radio and antennea were dealer installed, thus antenna placement varies. Personally, I like them on the rear fender
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Also, seems that the side moulding was a dealer installed option. And, I think yours is with sheet metal screws into holes drilled into the fenders.

I have that as well, and have personally seen one other car with the same affliction. I know of no good way, other than welding the holes shut just prior to re-painting.

If you ever run across a source to replace the plastic inserts, let me know.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

My 70 and 71 have the side moldings. It really does take away from the car lines. Also, the 71 has the antenna on the right fender but my 72 has it on the wiper cowl.
perthling

Post by perthling »

My '74 had the antenna on the right hand front fender but when the car was converted to RHD it had to go (in the line of sight). I ended up going with a windscreen mounted aerial which meant I didn't have to cut any holes in the body and it doesn't detract from the car's lines at all.
TVST*R

Post by TVST*R »

Sounds great!...Do you have a picture of that?

Has anyone installed an electric antennae?
8)
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I've installed several electric antennea on rear fenders. No big deal
Paingrin

Post by Paingrin »

If you don't mind Bondo on your car you can fill the holes pretty easily. My 80 spider had add-on side moldings. I filled them with a Bondo/Fiberglass mixture and you can't tell the difference without a magnet. Of course if you know an old-school bodyman who works with lead he can fill the holes and nobody will ever know. I can live with Bondo but I couldn't stand those side moldings.