Replacing Ignition Switch

Gotta love that wiring . . .
John Donohue

Replacing Ignition Switch

Post by John Donohue »

To continue my saga - over the winter, I bought a new ignition switch for the 77 Spider - figuring that would cure my problem (see below) - we caught a nice day last Sunday, and I tried to remove the existing switch, but it didnt want to cooperate. I removed the screws that hold it to the bracket, turned the key to disengage the steering wheel, and thought it would slip out. Wrong. Is there a trick to this procedure?
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

There is a little hole on the side of the housing that you need to stick a small flathead screwdriver into to disengage the locking mechanism while you have the key in the second or acc position. Make sure your tongue is hanging out the right side of your mouth. Then, and only then, will you be able to remove that hateful switch! Make sure you make a diagram of how the connectors go to the back of the switch. It can be quite confusing trying to get the connectors back in the proper place, even with a wiring diagram.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

And, do not forget that the key must be in the ignition and turned to the correct position.

1. Disconnect BATTERY! Never, ever do electrical work with the battery connected. Failure to follow this step has a way of making teeth fillings fall out.
2. Remove the steering shaft covers.
3. Disconnect electrical connectors to ignition switch.
4. Remove set screws from switch base.
5. Insert key and turn to the arrow mark on switch face.
6. Insert thin blade screwdriver into opening on right side of switch, push to unlock.
7. Pull switch out, say Italian cuss word, wiggle and pull switch out.

8. Get a WORKSHOP MANUAL. It is a great aid for those little unknown issues like...align key with arrow.