Can't get the hand brake adjusted!

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
johnssi

Can't get the hand brake adjusted!

Post by johnssi »

Hi all, thanks for the help in advance. So I've rebuilt the brakes: new pads all around, new braided stainless steel brake hoses, rebuilt the calipers with the new o-rings/dust seals, etc. Have the rear piston mark "A" in the correct position now, although not on the first try. Topped off with new brake fluid after bleeding out most of the old. For some reason I can't get the hand brake to adjust to where it will grab. With a helper going through the prescribed procedure I am seeing the handbrake cam lever moving until it is all the way tight and still no grab on the discs, I can easily move them with my hand. And I have the cable almost adjusted to the end of the rod. What gives??? I did take the entire handbrake lever and plunger apart and replaced the plunger seal and it was a real PITA to get it back together, but I am as certain as I can be that it is assembled correctly. I even tried the cam lever when the caliper was still apart and it was actuating the piston. I really don't know what could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Can't get the hand brake adjusted!

Post by TX82FIAT »

Can you post a picture or two from the calipers to the adjustment screw under the back center of the car. There is a spot on each side about a foot to the back of the car from the adjustment nut where i think the cable runs through part of the body into a sleave when routing to the rear calipers. If the cable is not run through the proper path then you will not have the proper tension on the cable. Most likely the cable is in its proper spot. Just asking the question.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
Auspider
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by Auspider »

Curious about the piston "A" mark? Agree with TX82FIAT though, pics always help :)
johnssi

Post by johnssi »

Thanks guys, but the cable is actuating the cam lever completely, so I'm pretty sure it's not the cable. Could it be that I have the "pawl", the wedge between the cam lever shaft and the plunger at the back of the piston installed upside down. I can't see as how that would make a difference, but i guess it could. I'm trying (in vain, I think), to not have to disassemble the calipers again. Any ideas?
paintdudeluke

Post by paintdudeluke »

I still suspect the piston orientation. I'd double check it.
johnssi

Hand brake problem: Mystery solved!

Post by johnssi »

So... After a little reflection and inspection I have finally figured out this puzzle! Here's what I started out with: rebuilt the brakes with new pads, o rings etc. When I finished the work all was good except I couldn't get the hand brake adjusted. Remember, I took the hand brake mechanism apart, the part that the Fiat manual calls the plunger. Well, when I put it back together I inadvertently put the plunger back into the rear end of the caliper spun (on its shaft) 180 degrees from where it should have been, thus not allowing enough travel for the hand brake to get any grab. There is a short side and a long side to the end of the plunger. The two sides have to the oriented correctly on the cam lever shaft to allow the greatest amount of travel of the cam lever, allowing for enough adjusment. Took it apart, spun the plungers 180 degrees, put it all back together and it works perfectly now. As far as I know this info isn't listed anywhere so I'm glad to be able to post it so that maybe it will help someone in the future.
paintdudeluke

Post by paintdudeluke »

I'm not sure, but based on that you might have just needed to spin the pistons 180 (upside down) and they would have mated with the plungers correctly, albeit upside down. 8)
colin916
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Post by colin916 »

:D thanks. This has helped me enormously.