High beams--lights

Gotta love that wiring . . .
72fiat850

High beams--lights

Post by 72fiat850 »

On my 1981 2000 spider--My low beams work fine, but when I turn on the high beams they go out (driving in the dark) I can pull handle back towards me and the brights stay on. Any suggestions? Thanks
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: High beams--lights

Post by spider2081 »

Really sounds like a problem with the hi/lo beam switch in the steering column. The high beam "flash" position of the switch exits the switch on the same wire terminal as the hi "on" position of the switch and then uses the same fuses etc.
The headlight on/park/off switch supplies power to the hi/lo beam switch for both hi and lo beams so if you lights work in lo beam its unlikely you have a bad connection before the switch in the steering column.
72fiat850

Post by 72fiat850 »

That's what I was thinking. Was just hoping for some "miracle" easy fix. Any easy way to get to the switch without tearing everything apart?
Redline
Your car is a: formerly a 1971 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

Post by Redline »

Oddly, I had the same and it was the headlight switch itself. The internals of the switch were going and I assume the change to high beams put too much current through, resulting in no lights at all at 100kph on a twisty road. :D

Maybe pull both switches and check them with a multimeter.
http://www.124bc.com
La Dolce Vita: Joy and frustration at the speed of smoke
72fiat850

Post by 72fiat850 »

Thanks. That's my next step
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by blurple124 »

On my '78 the hi and lo beams are powered by two individual wires that are crimped into the same terminal. Likewise, the flash and high beam outputs come from two separate circuits and into the same terminal.

As suggested, I would check continuity at each of the terminals to see where things are at. If you are luck, one of the wires has pulled loose. Otherwise I'm not sure that there is a good way to fix the column switch.
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
72fiat850

Post by 72fiat850 »

thanks, I'm going to pull the switch out tonight I'm sure I'll end up with a new switch

Pat