Wiring configuration on a 1978 starter

Gotta love that wiring . . .
lvacordian
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider 1800

Wiring configuration on a 1978 starter

Post by lvacordian »

I need help with the correct wiring configuration for a 78 starter. Based upon what I’ve already read in these forums it appears that the smaller red gauged wire goes to the spade connector on the solenoid while the other three heavier gauged starter wires go to the upper post. My thought is that this leaves the lower post with nothing on it and to me this doesn’t seem correct. Does anyone have any ideas, should the lower post have nothing on it?

Lastly none of my starter wires are matching up to the color specs on the wiring diagrams; I’m going off the Bradly Artigue, and Haynes diagrams. For example instead of the black wires shown in the Artigue diagrams l have brown/white. Any help will be appreciated.
76was124
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Wiring configuration on a 1978 starter

Post by 76was124 »

This is from an 81, but the other terminal, should have a metal strap to ground (not a wire)
https://app.box.com/s/3de8284b9b4d15b83e34/

And photo of 81 starter at:
https://app.box.com/s/59095d6fd949610e728a
Current 81 Spider 2000
Previous 76 Spider
lvacordian

Post by lvacordian »

I did see something like you're describing but it isn’t actually attached to the second post rather it's just below the post, and it goes from the solenoid to the starter motor body. Would that qualify as the ground and if not should I add something more adequate?

With a new battery the starter is turning the engine over slowly. I’m thinking that the next step is to check for possible voltage drops but I’m not even sure that my current wiring is even correct. As I said the colors of my wires don’t match up with any of the schematics I have. Is this common for 78 spiders from California? I'm wondering if anyone else has these brown and white wires going from the starter to the alternator.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

>This is from an 81, but the other terminal, should have a metal strap to ground (not a wire)

The starter does not actually have a wire that goes to ground. It grounds on the bellhousing.

There is a wire coming from the body of the starter to the lower post on the solenoid, this is for +12V to the starter.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
lvacordian

Post by lvacordian »

So its sounds like I have everything setup correctly. I'm puzzled why the starter would turn over so slow especially with a new battery. All the connections appear to be tight.
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by blurple124 »

As Csaba said, there is no ground. All the wires you see are positive. Here is a picture of the solenoid from my '78:

It isn't great, but it is what I have.

The red wire actuates the solenoid; this is the only wire with a push-on connector here. It goes on the spade connector and should be connected to the ignition switch.

The post on the left has a short wire that goes directly to the starter body. This is the starter motor positive wire. It is only energized when the solenoid is energized.

The right post has the battery cable attached to it and acts as a kind of junction for power distribution. There should be one wire (black, I believe) that goes over to the alternator for charging and one brown/white wire that leads up to the ignition switch with the solenoid wire. If someone has performed the "Brown wire fix," then you may have two of these.

So 3 wires minimum should be on the right post (left side of the car - away from the starter motor), if I am not mistaken.

I hope this helps.
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

> I'm puzzled why the starter would turn over so slow

How many volts at the battery while cranking? How many at the starter? If there is more than 1 volt difference then you need to go 'hunting' with the voltmeter and see where are you loosing voltage.
For example if you put the voltmeter between the body of the starter and the negative battery terminal, and it shows voltage, then you have a poor ground somewhere. I'd say anything more than 1 volt is a bad connection.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town