Hotwiring?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
FirstSpider

Hotwiring?

Post by FirstSpider »

So here's a weird question, I'm trying to figure out if my ignition switch is broken and I thought I might try hotwiring my car because the switch has stopped starting it. The only problem is that I've never had to hotwire a car and I'm not sure which wires should be crossed on the Spider. Can anyone give me directions? Thanks in advance.
supplyguy

Re: Hotwiring?

Post by supplyguy »

Ran into this just this week. After determining I had no spark from the distributor but the engine was turning over fine, Captain John had me connect a wire from the positive battery terminal to the positive coil post, and the car fired right up. I had an ignition switch issue which was quickly corrected....FWIW.
hayesbd
Your car is a: 1973 Spider

Post by hayesbd »

I had this issue on my 124TC years ago. The ignition would turn on, but the start position of the ignition switch was totally dead. I hot wired it by simply turning on the ignition and running a wire from the battery positive terminal to the solenoid (make sure it is in neutral first) to get the starter to turn over. This got it running so I could drive it home and fix it properly later.

Brian
Current: 1973 124 Spider
Previous: 1961 600D, 1970 850 Racer, 1973 124 Special, 1974 124 Special TC
FirstSpider

Post by FirstSpider »

Thanks for your replies guys, I was kinda hoping you could tell me which wires under the dash at the ignition switch I could cross though.