HELP!! Spider won't start

Gotta love that wiring . . .
FirstSpider

HELP!! Spider won't start

Post by FirstSpider »

So, I haven't driven my car all winter and now that it's finally starting to warm up I thought I'd take it out for a spin, but when I went to start it I turned the key in the ignition and nothing happened, like, absolutely NOTHING. No clicking, initially there was a very faint humming sound, but that went away. The battery was just charged and the radio and wipers work, however the instrument panel, headlights, hazards, turns, and tails do not. I replaced the ignition switch last summer. I'm mystified by this. Any help at all would be appreciated.
linzy92

Re: HELP!! Spider won't start

Post by linzy92 »

FirstSpider wrote:So, I haven't driven my car all winter and now that it's finally starting to warm up I thought I'd take it out for a spin, but when I went to start it I turned the key in the ignition and nothing happened, like, absolutely NOTHING. No clicking, initially there was a very faint humming sound, but that went away. The battery was just charged and the radio and wipers work, however the instrument panel, headlights, hazards, turns, and tails do not. I replaced the ignition switch last summer. I'm mystified by this. Any help at all would be appreciated.
Hi, I know I am new here but I think I might be able to offer some insight into this particular issue... My fiat has the same problem from time to time. Has your starter been having issues? My starter and Alternator were both rather faulty when I initially bought my fiat, and the alternator did not give me any issues until about 2 months after I got the car and started driving it regularly. Then suddenly one day it just refused to start up when I was trying. The starter wouldn't turn. It was just gone. The humming you hear in the back should be your fuel pump trying to go. What I did was charged the battery with a secondary car and I got someone else to try and start the car while I hit the starter with something metal. It started, I left it idling while connected to the other car and then I took the car and replaced the alternator with another one that I had. The problem was solved. I hope I helped and good luck with yours
FirstSpider

Post by FirstSpider »

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll give it a shot.
SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Post by SLOSpider »

Remove and clean the battery terminal and have the battery tested. More then likely the battery is shot or corroded terminals.
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback