starting problem

Gotta love that wiring . . .
AirForceFiat

starting problem

Post by AirForceFiat »

Well the other day i went to start my 81 spider and i got nuthing, it didnt even try to turn over. all my lights were coming on but there was nuhting from the starter. after multiple tries it finally started but the starter stayed engaged while it was running. so i turned the key off and the started continued to stay engaged trying to start the car even with the key removed. i dissconnected the battery to stop it. after reconnecting it a few mins later i got a push start since it was back to being dead, after anout 100 feet the starter suddenly reengaged. i opened the hood and moved the main battery cable connection on the starter and it disengaged. now i have removed the starter, and had it tested, it works fine, not super strong but still works. i tested the smaller wire to see if it was getting power when i turned the key. it doesnt look like it is. does anyone know what could cause that?
SoFlaFiat

Re: starting problem

Post by SoFlaFiat »

Sounds like a stuck bendix to me. You might be able to take the starter apart and clean and lube.
If the bendix sticks, engaged, then the flywheel is going to spin the started when you drive.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

it's possible the battery cable on the solenoid was touching the post on the starter motor. Was it loose enough to move it by hand? If so, that also creates a voltage drop and low voltage will cause a starter to keep running
SoFlaFiat

Post by SoFlaFiat »

Gotta love it! Learn something everyday!
Thanks Mark!
AirForceFiat

Post by AirForceFiat »

Well I tried cleaning the post, and the contacts, then the cables and reattaching them and tightening them down again good, still nuthing it's still no go for anything.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

do you have a voltmeter or will it be a guessing game?
AirForceFiat

Post by AirForceFiat »

Lol no I have a voltmeter, I tested the small single wire that's supposed to be powered when you turn the key and I got nuthing on it.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

A little closer to the front of the engine the single red solenoid wire you have been testing connects to the wire from the ignition switch start position. It is a single bullet connection that is very troublesome. Many eliminate this connector and splice the wires together. On my 81 it is near the carbon canister. I would check this connector.
Also did you test the single solenoid wire (push type spade connector) while it was connected to the starter solenoid or when it was disconnected? If voltage is present when disconnected and not when connected with the ignition in the "start" position there is a bad connection someplace.