Funny Things Electrical

Gotta love that wiring . . .
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Funny Things Electrical

Post by seabeelt »

OK, Had a chance to start poking around on the car this past Sunday and figured I would start with some basics.

Fuel tank guage/sending unit. Pulled the dash so I could get to the back of the guage if need be, then grounded each of the wires going to the sending unit. Gound first wire. Guage shoots to full. Grounded second wire, no red light. Argh.... swap bulb ground wire again. Voila a red light. Go get the spare from the 78. Do a basic ohms check. fuel empty works, but no varied resistance as I swing the arm. popped the cover and the tiny very fine waires are starting th shred :evil: So new fuel sending unit is on order. ( so much for spare parts)

Next on the list was the windshield wiper washer. First noticed no ground wire to second tab on motor. hmmmm can't seem to find one either :o So I unscrew the bag from the fender and decide to do a bench test with a spare battery. Also noticed that the rubber strap holding the motor to the bag is streched and broken, but bag does not leak. Connected leads from the battery to the motor. Tiny sparks but no small pump humming sound. OK time for the spare parts box again. Have three to choose from. One bag has a rip so I started with that one. Yeah it works. (parts box is redeemed :) ) Just for grins I checked the others and had a 50% sucess rate. so I chucked the other bad motor as well. Popped the new motor in the bag and decided to zip tie it in place because the strap is toast. SO I drill a small hole in the base of the block that belongs to the strap :evil: wouldnt you know it but that thing is somewhat hollow and goes to the interior of the bag! So now, get out the silicone and small screw to plug tthe hole I just made. Plan B2 drill same holes further up the strap just above the base. This may work, but wont be as neat as being able to go throught the base. Cleaned up the bag, but havent put it back in the car yet.

Now the fun begins. Seems I have a reoccuring theme of toasted items :idea: . hmmmm just coincidence or is there another issue :?: . Start again with the basics Car not running battery +11.98 volts. Jump the car because its been sitting for a couple of weeks ( seems too soon for the battery to be that low) Voltage at battery +15.76 volts :o

Havent had a chance to look at the voltage regulator as it was getting dark and starting to rain but that voltage seems high. Any thoughts here :?: :?: From all other indications thus far, When the battery has a charge it starts normally, lights (except for parking lights) horn, wipers (albeit slow) radio and flashers all work, even when run at the same time. So if the voltage regulator is bad, would this cause other items to toast from an increase in voltage or is it more likely age of components. ( seems like wipers should go a little faster)
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Funny Things Electrical

Post by TX82FIAT »

Yuk! if your voltage regulator is not working it could be contributing to your battery problems. Overcharging a battery can lead to problems just as bad as undercharing and in some cases maybe worse. The increased voltage would in theory help your wipers move faster. However, it would also depend on the grounds and resistance in the circuit as well as the mechnical linkages under the cowl. A lot of wipers run much better after a good cleaning and greasing of the mechnical bits. Higher voltage does not change any issues that may be inherent with a circuit. In fact, higher voltage through a restricted/shorted/poorly grounded circuit could lead to more issues in the wires. The 15.76 volts that you referenced is at what RPM? That seems very high to me at idle.

I'm not really good at electrical systems beyond the basics but would advise getting some additional voltage readings at different RPM's to see what is coming off the alternator.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by seabeelt »

I will check the voltage regulator this coming weekend and also pull the wiper cowl and give that a cleaning and lube. Also looks like I have two balast resistors connected to the coil. Shouldnt there only be one?
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

I only had one before conversion. I do recall others saying they had two resistors on the coil.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by seabeelt »

Bought Marks alternator upgrade. Figured $25 - 50 for a voltage regulator or just go whole hog and do an upgrade from 45 amps to 95 and get better bang for the buck. Thanks Mark for the fast shipping :!:
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Post by 4uall »

95 amp alternators are the best :wink:

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY