removing ignition

Gotta love that wiring . . .
zeke113054

removing ignition

Post by zeke113054 »

hi posted this under new as im new here but. i have a 1981 fiat the key was broken off in the ignition i was able to remove it and had a key cut.well now that key is broken in the ignition and i can't get it out nor can i get it where i can push the pin to remove it. can i drill it with the key in it .do i need a special bit and what size? any help will be greatly appricated. tami
4uall
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Pininfarina Spider 2000 F.I.

Re: removing ignition

Post by 4uall »

Jay

Fiona
1980 FI 2000 Spider
ITZEBTZE

https://goo.gl/photos/eNKaX7hrXhBu9fmp6

FINN (FN-2187)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
MYTHERPY
2ndwind
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Post by 2ndwind »

Tami,
I have my old failed ignition in hand. From another post you can see this thing is highly mechanical:

http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11625

In the shadow, at about 1 o'clock in the picture you can see the steering lock mechanism. This is drawn into the ignition switch itself when the key is first turned. At the 7 o'clock position (in the photo) is the lock mechanism for holding the switch itself into its slot.
If two successive keys have broken off in it, it has probably failed mechanically. The previous owner gave up on it because it will take more than a call to a locksmith to fix it.

If you are really lucky maybe the electrical contacts in the back half of the switch have jammed. Disconnect the battery FIRST! Then just pry out the circlip as shown close-up further down in that same post. Then pull the electrical assembly out the back of the switch. If you are VERY LUCKY this will allow the (now broken) key to turn.

Otherwise, I don't know enough about removing switches unconventionally to confidently direct you.

Knowing the switch is toast, I would likely pry out the key and hammer a thin cold chisel right into the slot then crank it to the right with a wrench to line it up and remove it for a good used one. Either that or drill it out with a half inch bit. There is probably a less brutal way. Last choice is replacing the whole steering column with a working key and ignition.
Steve
1982 Red Spider 2000
1919 Old Town Sailing Canoe
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

I had to drill mine out a few years ago, I don't remember what size bit I used but you may want to start with a smaller size and go larger a little at a time so that you drill enough out to remove the mechanism from the housing without damaging the housing. Start with maybe a 1/4" bit. Try to keep the hole you're drilling in the center of the key slot. First though, if the key is still in but broken flush with the face a very small pair of needle nose pliers will usually grab the key enough to pull it out. Then you could use it to have a duplicate made if you don't have one. To remove the switch normally you do need a key so that the switch can be turned into the correct location.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.