Ignition switch problem?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
RattleTrap

Ignition switch problem?

Post by RattleTrap »

I've got a 1980 FI Spider. Recently, and fairly often, I walk out to my car and the parking brake light and other lights on the dash have been on, and it's draining my battery. It's acting like the key is in the on position, but the key's not in it. I've had other instances lately where I take the key out and the car continues running. (now that's a weird feeling!) I just wait for 10 or 15 seconds and the car realizes the key's been removed and it shuts itself off. Since it's draining the battery, the starter won't work, but if I get a push start and pop the clutch everything works great after that. Any clues as to what might be happening? I seem to think it is the ignition switch shorting somewhere, but who knows. Thanks!
So Cal Mark

Re: Ignition switch problem?

Post by So Cal Mark »

unplug the switch and see if everything turns off
RattleTrap

Post by RattleTrap »

Sorry it's taken so long for a response, but i figured out the problem. For those who may have this problem: I unplugged the switch and everything still had power going to it. After lots of looking at the wiring diagram, I figured out that it was the hazard switch. As far as I understand, it has one source of power running to it while there is no key in the switch, and a different source of power while the key is switched to on. For whatever reason, it was feeding power back through the ignition switch and out to fuel injection, ignition, and various lights. All I did was press the hazard switch to turn it on, turned it off again, and the problem was fixed. I've haven't had any trouble since.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

Those hazard switched are a bad design and fail regularly.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

We used to use a quality measurement on the factory floor that I called OFE, or "opportuntity for error". The hazard switch would have been assigned a very high score.......
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle