Starter solenoid rebuild?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
MTMike

Starter solenoid rebuild?

Post by MTMike »

About 1/3 times turning the key just results in a click. The other times the starter works correctly. Does this mean the solenoid is going? I read somewhere on here that they are easy to rebuild yourself, but I didn't see much in the way of details.
Any hints?
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Starter solenoid rebuild?

Post by spider2081 »

Have you checked all the electrical connections associated with the start circuit. Often times the single red wire connection that pushes onto the solenoid is loose. Also check or eliminate the single connector about 6 inches forward from the solenoid. Another problem point is the connector behind the ignition switch. Another is the engine primary ground that connects the starter housing to the cars body. Both battery terminals also play a part in the circuit as does the ignition switch itself. Lots to check before pulling the starter.
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

i would bench test the solenoid while in the car. use jumper cables and a spare battery. connect the + to the upper lug on the solenoid and - on a good chassis ground. make a jumper using the same spade connector connected to the spade on the solenoid. strike the other end of the jumper on the + terminal of the battery. (Make sure car is in neutral). if the starter fires every time, then your issue is not the solenoid, but the power coming in.
The solenoid has only one issue. there is a small wire coming from the starter windings. it is easy to break this off. If you do, you are SOL. :cry:
MTMike

Post by MTMike »

I know this is a really old post, but I wanted to at least follow up with the fix.
The red wire mentioned by spider2081 was actually broken- just hanging on by 2 strands of copper.
After repairing that, starter cranks every time.
Learning is fun :mrgreen:
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

I myself am having this exact problem now! About 25% of the time I get a click. So I just had the battery stress checked today and it is fine. Guess I need to check these various connections too. Love this forum!

Pete
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle