NEW problem creaping up!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
tfitzgerald

NEW problem creaping up!

Post by tfitzgerald »

Hi guys,

recently I have had a problem where my car will loose all power for about 3 - 5 seconds then kick in as if nothing happened. Its like the fuel pump stops working.

Today i went for a drive and when i shut it off she stopped no problem. When i tried to start the car again, the radio worked but none of the dummy lights (Seatbelt/Exhaust sensor/etc..) came on. I also never heard the fuel pump. I turned the key off and then on and it did the same thing. Then with the key still in the 'on' position all the lights came back and the pump came on. The car then started and off i went.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

Regards,
Todd
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: NEW problem creaping up!

Post by azruss »

sounds like the beginning of ignition switch going bad. May want to check your fuses and see if one is a little loose.
tfitzgerald

Post by tfitzgerald »

That is the first thing i suspected... I 'moved' the key around while the car was running but i can not duplicate the problem. Last thing i want to do is get stranded with my daughter in the car !

Thanks.
Todd
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

if it is a Fuel injected model, it will more than likely be the twin bosch relay, it may have a dry joint. If it is this it can be fixed if you are handy with the soldering iron.
If it's not a FI model, it maybe something else....check for firm connections on the coil
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<
tfitzgerald

Post by tfitzgerald »

Hmm.. probably should have stated year/model :) it is a 1981 FI. Where is that relay?
JammerX19
Your car is a: 1974 124 Spider

Post by JammerX19 »

My car does the same thing. Changing the double relay did not fix it. Ignition switch is next for me.
Jody Farr
'74 124 Spider
'12 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #13
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the dual relay won't affect the warning lights. You have a voltage drop somewhere, It could be the ignition or loose fuses or a loose cable at the starter
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I agree with Mark the dual relay does not affect the warning lights. Try and get a wire diagram and a trouble light to isolate problem. Another recent post traced this problem to a loose wire at the alternator output.
The smaller of the black wires from the alternator output feeds fuse 10 and fuse 10 is internally jumped to fuse 9. There are 2 wires on fuse 9 one goes to C31 the ignition switch connector and then to terminal 30/1 of the ignition switch. These connections are not fuse protected but the connections are made at the fuse block. When the switch is in the start or run position that power exits the ignition switch on terminal 15/54 on a pink wire at C31. From there it feed, the ignition, fuse 1, fuel injection, and battery charge indicator.
I believe your problem is in the above path.
I would first check the ignition switch connector C31 for voltage on the black wire mating with the pink when the ignition switch is in the run position.
tfitzgerald

Post by tfitzgerald »

Thanks very much for the posts guys... its appreciated.

Just came back from a short spin and she did it again. This time, the fuel pump stopped working and i coasted to the side of the road. I noticed a couple of things while trying to restart... she started right up about a minute later and i was able to make it home.

The oil pressure light and the battery charging light WERE working properly. The 3 dummy lights in the middle were NOT working (Brake-Exhaust Gas Sensor-Seat Belt) and the fuel pump was NOT working as well. The RADIO AND STARTER continued to work.

Spider2081.. with the added information about the working charge indicator do you think the problem still lies with C31?

ALSO

If the RADIO AND STARTER still work, would you consider the ignition switch to be still a potential problem?

Again, thanks for any and all replies.
Todd
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

You should check the connection just down from the ignition switch. They're famous for making bad connections and turning brown from the heat of resistance. I'm thinking it's a possible culprit because the gauge lights and the fuel pump power from the ignition switch don't share wires but they do share that connection. Besides the separate inline fuse wire there's a red wire that comes from the ignition to the dual relay through it.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.