Checking the dash bulbs

Gotta love that wiring . . .
JammerX19
Your car is a: 1974 124 Spider

Checking the dash bulbs

Post by JammerX19 »

Can anyone tell me which dash lights should come on when the ignition comes on? I've never seen these light up ever in my '80 FI Spider:

Fuel low indicator
Green headlights-on indicator
Oil pressure indicator
Ex. Gas sensor indicator

In short, I'm using to find a quick way of determining if I have bad bulbs ;)

Part 2: how do you pull the instrument cluster? I have removed the four screws but the cluster only comes out an inch or two. Didn't want to force it. Wondering if the speedo needs disconnected first from underneath? And if so, how is it done?
Jody Farr
'74 124 Spider
'12 Fiat 500 Prima Edizione #13
Zulu

Re: Checking the dash bulbs

Post by Zulu »

JammerX19 wrote:Can anyone tell me which dash lights should come on when the ignition comes on? I've never seen these light up ever in my '80 FI Spider:

Fuel low indicator
Green headlights-on indicator
Oil pressure indicator
Ex. Gas sensor indicator

In short, I'm using to find a quick way of determining if I have bad bulbs ;)

Part 2: how do you pull the instrument cluster? I have removed the four screws but the cluster only comes out an inch or two. Didn't want to force it. Wondering if the speedo needs disconnected first from underneath? And if so, how is it done?
The alternator and oil pressure low lights should come on when you turn the key to on but don't start the engine. The green light comes on with the rest of the lights, and the fuel reserve light comes on at about 1 gallon left in the tank. Chances are good it's just bulbs that are out.

The cluster should pull out with just the four thumb screws removed. With it partially out, you can disconnect the instrument wiring harness and the speedometer cable, and then it comes free. It is easier with the steering wheel removed but that's not essential.

Zulu
KidDingo
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000 FI 5-spd

Post by KidDingo »

It's easier to pull the cluster out if lower the steering column. 4 bolts holds the column to the underside of the dashboard. Loose them off,steering drops enough to get cluster out. No need to take off steering wheel that way.
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

KidDingo - well, I finally understand the many posts about lowering/dropping the column. I did not get it was only a couple inches of relief and thought there was some joint in the column that allowed the column to bend.... or drop. Third FIAT and now i get it. I've always taken the wheel off.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
KidDingo
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000 FI 5-spd

Post by KidDingo »

Haha. Glad I could help! 8)