77 with no spark

Gotta love that wiring . . .
cjl7516c

77 with no spark

Post by cjl7516c »

My 77 spider was running great when I turned a corner last fall, and then it just quit. I spun the engine over a few times, but I could tell there was no spark, or at least no hint of firing. This car had the xr3000 conversion kit in it and worked perfectly with an immediate increase in power. I have had no problems with it at all. That being said, when the car quit I immediately wondered if something was wrong with the unit, so I replaced it with the xr700 module, (okay, it was cheaper) but then I had to add a ballast between it and the distributor. No matter, nothing changed. I changed the coil, still no difference, still no spark. It's got new plug wires, dist. cap, rotor, but nothing works. I even replaced the battery. I'm tired of throwing money at this car, can anyone help me figure this out?
Btw, it's getting gas, no problem there. Could it be the ignition switch? HELP!!! :? :?
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Re: 77 with no spark

Post by RRoller123 »

Make sure there is voltage getting to the coil. The "B" coil connection should have direct battery voltage (routed through the ignition switch).
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
dmwhiteoak
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 spider

Post by dmwhiteoak »

My thoughts exactly, check voltage at the coil. There is no need to continue to throw money at it. We can work through this. Keep us posted.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
cjl7516c

Post by cjl7516c »

dmwhiteoak wrote:My thoughts exactly, check voltage at the coil. There is no need to continue to throw money at it. We can work through this. Keep us posted.
Okay, I jumped the ignition switch and the voltage at the coil is 12+ volts. Cranked her over, but still no fire. I suppose I can put back the xr3000 module and try that again. The pickup unit in the distributor is new so I really doubt that is bad, what about the relay? That must be okay if there is 12 volts at the coil, right? I have a feeling this is going to be some stupid little thing that I have overlooked... :?
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Post by kilrwail »

Have you checked for spark at the coil with a test wire, instead of the normal coil wire? Also, be sure that the distributor cap hasn't broken the insulation on the small coil wire so that it would be grounded. Then check that wire for continuity between the distributor and the coil - it may be bad.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
cjl7516c

Post by cjl7516c »

cjl7516c wrote:My 77 spider was running great when I turned a corner last fall, and then it just quit. I spun the engine over a few times, but I could tell there was no spark, or at least no hint of firing. This car had the xr3000 conversion kit in it and worked perfectly with an immediate increase in power. I have had no problems with it at all. That being said, when the car quit I immediately wondered if something was wrong with the unit, so I replaced it with the xr700 module, (okay, it was cheaper) but then I had to add a ballast between it and the distributor. No matter, nothing changed. I changed the coil, still no difference, still no spark. It's got new plug wires, dist. cap, rotor, but nothing works. I even replaced the battery. I'm tired of throwing money at this car, can anyone help me figure this out?
Btw, it's getting gas, no problem there. Could it be the ignition switch? HELP!!! :? :?
Just to let you know, I finally got it running again. I put the xr3000 module back in and made sure it was grounded properly, plugged everything back into the ignition switch, turned the key and it fired right up. I'm not sure yet what was wrong, probably the coil, or the coil plus the high tension wire to the distributor...or just maybe wiggling all the wires did the trick. I'll finish putting it back together tomorrow and take it for a test spin...big sigh of relief! I've had this car since '87 I guess, and you wouldn't believe the stuff I've done to it!! Well, maybe you would, since you own one yourself! Thanks for the help!
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

There are plenty of folk on this forum to help. Where are you located ? Maybe someone is near and can help out when needed. I know I'm alot better hands on than trouble shooting over the web.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
cjl7516c

Post by cjl7516c »

dmwhiteoak wrote:There are plenty of folk on this forum to help. Where are you located ? Maybe someone is near and can help out when needed. I know I'm alot better hands on than trouble shooting over the web.
I am in the Seattle area, actually Lynnwood which is north of Seattle.
dmwhiteoak

Post by dmwhiteoak »

Well, that pretty much leaves me out. Haven't ever been that far north.
Dennis Modisette

1972 124 Spider
2003 Chevrolet Z71
2007 GMC Yucon
cjl7516c

Post by cjl7516c »

dmwhiteoak wrote:Well, that pretty much leaves me out. Haven't ever been that far north.

No matter, you are a good shoulder to cry on... :)