Electric fan on '69

Gotta love that wiring . . .
twincam69
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider and 1971 124 Coupe

Electric fan on '69

Post by twincam69 »

Here's an interesting story on my car. The PO (original owner BTW) had a new, later model radiator installed in 2006. With it came a delete of the engine driven fan and an electric aftermarket fan installed. The "mechanic" used a tap onto the blue/black wire off the ignition for positive power without any fuse, relay or any other method of properly wiring it. The radiator switch was wired but to what...I couldn't really figure out. It certainly wasn't the fan. Anyway (I think)it acted as a generator when the ignition was switched off and would feed back causing the engine to run for a few seconds until it finally died. Quite interesting. Oh yes, it was also wired backwards so the fan was blowing forward into the radiator instead of pulling the air through. No wonder the PO sold the car after he told me he couldn't find someone who could work on it and it seemed to run hot !

I've now installed a relay and it is properly wired to the radiator switch. No overheating even in South Florida traffic.

Hampton
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Electric fan on '69

Post by 124JOE »

way to go

have you been to http://www.artigue.com
he has all the tech onfo on our cars :wink:
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
So Cal Mark

Re: Electric fan on '69

Post by So Cal Mark »

I've seen fans wired that way and they do power the ignition after the ignition is turned off. File that under "things POs have done"