Suitable battery for alternator

Gotta love that wiring . . .
tiaf124

Suitable battery for alternator

Post by tiaf124 »

I 've heard that each alternator has a limit as far as it conserns the battery capacity above which it gets overstressed.I have a 45amp Marelli alternator with integral regulator in my 124 . How many ah(capacity) should be the battery so that the alternator can surge it properly .
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Re: Suitable battery for alternator

Post by maytag »

You've either been misinformed, or you've misunderstood.
It is very important that your charging system is capable of supplying enough demand for the draw you place on it. If you have added many lights or a hi-power stereo system, you may have some issues, as the 45a alternator was marginally sufficient to begin with.
But a larger battery does not draw any more amps (or volts) from your charging system than a smaller battery.
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
tiaf124

Post by tiaf124 »

So regardless the battery capacity in ah what counts is the alternator charging power.Either a 60ah or a 45ah I only get 45amp if there is a 45 amp alternator installed in my 124.Am I still wrong? What about the cold cranking amps capacity that differs between certain batteries,is it too an alternator charging matter?
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

No you can use any battery that will fit and has the correct orientation of the battery posts.

Your battery is just a holder for electricity, there is not any need to worry about the size or amp hr of the battery relative to the alternator. They don't have a relationship in regards to size, amp hr, cold cranking amps or anything else.

I would buy a battery that has high cold cranking amps to ensure it can crank the starter quickly in cold weather or if the engine is hot.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9