wiring details for alternator change.

Gotta love that wiring . . .
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

wiring details for alternator change.

Post by RoyBatty »

Hi gang,
I have just received my new alternator from Allisons and just want to be sure of the wiring mods before I make any changes. In my discussion with Mark, it qas my understanding that the relay for the voltage warning light is to be bypassed. I am thinking the best way to do this is to snip the wires in the harness below the relay and splice them together there. I also understand that I need to disconnect the field wire from the external VR and cap it off.
My spder is a '75 and the wires I think I need to jumper together are the white/violet striped and the yellow/red striped.
I am going to leave the current system in a manner that I can reinstall the old alternator in the future should it be needed for an emergency.
So, do I have the wirea at the relay right?
coopertl
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider + 1974 X19

Re: wiring details for alternator change.

Post by coopertl »

Roy, i made the same upgrade to my '75 spider and wired it as you describe. i left the gray wire loose at the alternator and used a butt connector at the relay to splice the violet-white wire to the red-yellow wire. i chose to remove the voltage regulator and left the gray and orange wires abandon in place. The relay also remains abandon in place.

You're really going to appreciate that new alternator. That upgrade and the headlight relay modification have cured many ills. terry