Radiator fan Stays On

Gotta love that wiring . . .
VinniedeFiat

Radiator fan Stays On

Post by VinniedeFiat »

Just replaced the fan switch (at the bottom of the radiator) yet the fan still runs constantly. I have to unplug one of at least three connectors to make it stop. Any suggestions, y'all?
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Radiator fan Stays On

Post by spider2081 »

The fan is connected to Fuse 10 in the fuse block. This fuse is hot all the time. The fan can run with the ignition switch turned off if the temperature switch mounted in the head is closed because the engine temp is too high. The temp switch in the head supplies the ground when the head temp is over aprox 95 degrees.

the fan switch has 2 black wires on it and should plug into a connector C4 with 2 black wire in it. One of these black wires supplies the ground from the driver side grounding pod. The other black wire in this connector C4 goes to another connector C5. C5 also has a blue wire in it that connects to Fuse 10 and has 12 VDC as long as the battery is in the car. C5 connects to the fan's connector which should also have a black and a blue wife in it. These colors should match on either side of the connector. I have seen the Windshield washer pump connector connected to the fan circuit. Not sure what it would cause to happen. The windshield washer pump wire colors are black/violet and Pink/black id you have this plug connected in the fan circuit it is wrong.
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

spider2081 wrote:... if the temperature switch mounted in the head is closed because the engine temp is too high. The temp switch in the head supplies the ground when the head temp is over aprox 95 degrees.
I think you meant the sender in the radiator, not the head :-)
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

VinniedeFiat wrote:Just replaced the fan switch (at the bottom of the radiator) yet the fan still runs constantly. I have to unplug one of at least three connectors to make it stop. Any suggestions, y'all?
Most likely one of the POs wired it to run all the time. It would help to know the year of the car, as Spider 2000s had no relay, but earlier Spiders did.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town