Crane

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Haps93

Crane

Post by Haps93 »

I have a 78 Spider and don't have the patience to finesse with the dual points so I'm thinking about putting the Crane XR3000 on. Any advice / pros / cons ?

Cheers,

....Chris
jprisbe

Post by jprisbe »

I haven't done this yet but a friend on the FLU forum installed the crane XR700 and was very pleased with it. He said it definitely improved performance.
lanciahf

A great Upgrade!

Post by lanciahf »

I used to run with a Crane XR 3000 for many years. Very reiable and easy to install.

Ralph
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

my contention is about roadside repairs. With points, you can carry an extra set in the glove box and easily get the car repaired as opposed to the electronic system. When it fails, you get towed home then try to find a vendor that carries replacements
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

I've been running the Crane XR700, and am very happy with it. Shoot, the car ran great for the first 300 miles before I ever realized that it had the wrong distributor cap on it -- that's how good the Crane ignition is for producing a well regulated spark!!! Because of the wrong cap, I had a 1/2" arc going on inside the cap at the center and at the tip of the rotor at 8000 sparks per minute (4000 rpm). The Crane did just fine, and even better now that I have the correct cap in place!

Plus, I can always carry a set of points and condensor with me to install in case of the unlikely event of a failure. Wouldn't be much different than installing a spare set of points if your points were to quit on you.

alvon
Lincoln M

Post by Lincoln M »

Would anyone know if this crane conversion fits a 1979 2L brava engine?

If so, could someone point me to a link for more info or where to buy such a thing?

Thanks!
Lincoln
Haps93

Thanks

Post by Haps93 »

Thanks all for the comments......I am going to give this conversion a try (and also will carry spare points, etc. in the glove box). Anyone know of what coil should accompany the Crane XR3000.

Cheers,

...Chris
jprisbe

Post by jprisbe »

Keep us posted on your results.
lanciahf

Crane PS 40 Coile

Post by lanciahf »

Crane PS 40

Thanks all for the comments......I am going to give this conversion a try (and also will carry spare points, etc. in the glove box). Anyone know of what coil should accompany the Crane XR3000.

Cheers,

...Chris
pastaroni

Post by pastaroni »

i have a crane system that im not using that i'll sell cheaper than the vendors.. let me know if you want it. we had problems keeping the crane optical trigger piece in place, so we made an aluminum one, works really well. i am not using because distributorless equipment is in the works. email me!