Exterior Mirrors

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
WYSpider

Exterior Mirrors

Post by WYSpider »

Does anyone have a picture of what original exterior mirrors looked like on a 1979/1980?
bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Re: Exterior Mirrors

Post by bobplyler »

Here's mine. I've since replaced the mirror. With one that's very similar. The adjusting cable broke.
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).
WYSpider

Post by WYSpider »

Bob, do you recall which vendor you purchased the replacement from?
bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Post by bobplyler »

I bought it from Linea Rossa USA (I still have them bookmarked). They're no longer in business. I think this is the same. Mine looks a lot like this. http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/index. ... ts_id=2518
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).
WYSpider

Post by WYSpider »

Do you know if the optional passenger mirror had a remote as well?
Razooli
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Razooli »

WYSpider wrote:Do you know if the optional passenger mirror had a remote as well?
There was no stock passenger side mirror offered ... the ones you see are all reproductions with no remote provision. I bought a pair for my '82 and was very disappointed in the cheap construction, so much so that I refurbished the stock drivers mirror ... I still have the repro in a parts box somewhere. I did mount the passenger side repro unit. Not an exact match to the stock mirror but close enough. If you do install a passenger side mirror, I would suggest you go to AutoZone or similar and buy a convex mirror (I got a Toyota replacement mirror for $10) and have it cut to fit (local glass shop did it for $10). The mirror has a detent inside that allows only one position. I sanded off the male part of the detent, tightened the spring and replaced the glass. Now I have a much more adjustable mirror with a wide field of view and feel much safer driving on the freeways.
Lynn Shuler
1982 Spider 2000
Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.