Newer to older steering wheel.....

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
cjc

Newer to older steering wheel.....

Post by cjc »

Ok, so I took my three spoke steering wheel off my 81 and put on a older two spoke (fake wood) wheel which I really like better. Bought a horn button and cap for the two spoke.Just got the spring for the horn button

Some issues-

No horn, turn signals wont cancel.

What I'm a missing? i think the connector for the horn (brass flange thingy) isn't hitting (tested the horn and it works)

Also the ring with the hole for the signal canceler maybe different?

Has anyone ever done what I'm doing and have you run into these issues. I see at IAP when you buy a aftermarket wheel you have to buy an adapter, is this an option?

Thanks

CJ
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Newer to older steering wheel.....

Post by aj81spider »

I briefly put a two spoke faux wood wheel on my 81, replacing a lame aftermarket. I did get the horn to work, but I had to grind off some of the plastic on the inside of the wheel to get the ring low enough to contact the horn contact. I also had to bend the contact up a little. I've got a bunch of steeering wheels (don't ask why) and as best I can determine there are at least 3 ways used to cancel the signals. The two spokes that I have do it two different ways and are not compatible with the 81 so I had to cancel the signals by hand. Eventually I bought a 3 spoke and went back to stock so I could get the signal cancel automatically.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Re: Newer to older steering wheel.....

Post by 124JOE »

sorry i went the other way i had an older wheel and colum,without the wheel lock

and i wanted the lock working,seeing i had bought a parts car a few years ago,
i had a newer colum so i switch them and havent had any problems yet.joe
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com