Brake Splash Guard Removal

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
jimmycakes401

Brake Splash Guard Removal

Post by jimmycakes401 »

I'm not sure if I'm calling it the wrong part, but I can't find it in search. I removed every part of the rear brakes including splash guards. I then sandblasted/painted everything and put it back together. I'm working on the front, but the splash guard has strange cut off bolts and look really hard to remove. I'm thinking I may just leave these. Any thoughts?
azygoustoyou

Re: Brake Splash Guard Removal

Post by azygoustoyou »

They are called dust covers. Those bolts are cut to fit in the small space to hold the dust covers on and everything together. I ruined a dust cover trying to get them off. I took everything apart and media blasted it too. You can get them apart. I think I used a large screw driver and pried against the head to hold them. Just be careful not to ruin the dust cover. :shock: They are impossible to find.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

They are in OKAY shape. I may just leave the front ones.
124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Post by 124JOE »

dont those cut bolts have nuts on the back side?
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

I just took one apart and it was really easy with a impact wrench. If the bolt doesn't want to come out. Use Vise grips to hold the head and it will come off without hurting the dust shield. There are two different size bolts. You'll know where they go when you redo it. It will either be too short or too long. Now you can clean everything up and it will be like new. It looks like someone was into this before. Note the bolt retainer (circled) is on the outside of the one end. They are supposed to be below the nut, not on top. It seemed someone tack welded them. That's what happens when you don't take note of things. :roll:
Last edited by azygoustoyou on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmycakes401

Post by jimmycakes401 »

Hmmmm... guess that's not too bad. Didn't realize they had bolts on the back. I'm feeling pretty lazy right now. Mainly because I put some 80-90 grit media in place of my 70.... 70 was tearing it all off fast. Not so much with the new stuff.
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

I took it all apart and painted it today.
The rain however didn't give me much time to finish all my pieces I wanted to get done.
I think I lost about 10lbs of media. I keep reusing the same stuff so it's not like I got my moneys worth.
I only use medium media. It breaks down and turns into fine. I just keep putting it in the tank. :mrgreen:
Make sure you don't blast the steering knuckle shaft.