clock on=will start/clock off=nostart

Gotta love that wiring . . .
agv

clock on=will start/clock off=nostart

Post by agv »

as thes ubject says , if I put the key in the ignition and the clock runs, she starts normally, if theclock doesn't run, no start.
its an '82
thanks for the help in advance.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: clock on=will start/clock off=nostart

Post by rlux4 »

The clock should run all the time. If yours runs when the key is inserted then it's been tapped into the buzzer that comes on when the key is in and the ignition is in the off position. These wires are the two separate ones off the back of the ignition. Seeing as the car doesn't start at the same time, it sounds like something in the FI system has also been tapped into this line also. I'm guessing the fuel pump. Normally the ignition switch will energize a line going through an inline fuse to the dual relay (brown wire with a white stripe) which sends the power down to the fuel pump through the green with black stripe wire. It's pretty common for problems in this circuit not to be diagnosed correctly in the past and someone bypasses the normal fuel pump circuit. I don't use my buzzer, so I use that line for the radio, it comes on when I insert the key. Occasionally though, it looses power and I have to press down on my key to make contact, so you may be having the same problem. Next time it happens move the key around and see if it energizes the clock.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Re: clock on=will start/clock off=nostart

Post by ORFORD2004 »

To me it look like if you have a bad connection at the battery or ground. Sometimes voltage, sometime no.