turn signal flasher in speedometer stopped working

Gotta love that wiring . . .
rajayyagari

turn signal flasher in speedometer stopped working

Post by rajayyagari »

hello all,

i have a 1980 fuel injected fiat spider. the double green triangle light in the speedometer that flashes to indicate the turn signal is on recently stopped working. it went from working well, to intermittently working, to not working over several weeks (not sudden malfunction). i checked the bulb for this light - it works fine. also, i checked the contact within hole in the speedometer where the bulb plugs in - it is okay too (i plugged in the headlight indicator bulb into this socket and the light lit up appropriately). all of the actual lights around the car function perfectly (front and back), as does everything else on the dash. did the round flasher relay go bad?

thanks!

rajayyagari
jfrawley
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Re: turn signal flasher in speedometer stopped working

Post by jfrawley »

That's usually the culprit when mine starts acting like yours. I usually find one or more of the connectors to the flasher have come loose. Once I tighten them up the problems seems to go away for a while.
John Frawley
Frederick, MD
1982 Spider
http://www.dcfiats.org
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Also the wire on the flasher for the turn indicator is Blue/white it goes to an 11 pin connector and continues to a 5 pin connector at the 5 pin connector the wire changes color to Blue. The Blue wire connects to the turn indicator in the speedometer. If you don't find a loose connection swapping the Blue/white and Violet wires on the flasher would Isolate the flasher as the problem. When the signals are on voltage alternates between the violet wire lighting the signal lite and the blue/white wire to light the turn indicator in the speedometer. If the signals stop working with the wires swapped but the turn indicator work then the flasher is bad.
rajayyagari

Post by rajayyagari »

thanks! your replies are very helpful! i actually just got my hands on a wiring diagram, and know exactly what you mean. will check it out this weekend....