Fuse keeps blowing

Gotta love that wiring . . .
austspider

Fuse keeps blowing

Post by austspider »

In my post from the other day, I got the fuse number wrong. The fuse that actually keeps blowing is the last one in the fuse box. The diagram says the voltage regulator is associated with this fuse. I also think my radio is attached here as it is also not working.

What should I be checking to find the cause.

Thanks
james124

Re: Fuse keeps blowing

Post by james124 »

I am assuming you are referring to fuse 10 connected to the voltage regulator via an orange colored thick wire. I checked my car and it has a 16 amp fuse. So I would recommend you check your fuse to make sure you are not using a weaker fuse. I would also clean the fuse holder contacts and all the voltmeter contacts. A bit of dielectric grease would be good too. Furthermore, I would check the voltage coming out of the voltmeter which should be about 13.7 volts. If it is higher, it may require adjustment or replacement. Check the voltmeter grounds too - should be good, clean and tight. Let us know how you make out. Good luck, JimmyG
2ndwind
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Re: Fuse keeps blowing

Post by 2ndwind »

Just a heads up. Dielectric grease is a nonconductive grease. Because it is nonconductive it does not enhance the flow electrical current. Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated. It can be coated after they are mated to prevent corrosion.
Steve
1982 Red Spider 2000
1919 Old Town Sailing Canoe