Still trying to fix my wipers - 71 124 Spider

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dparnas

Still trying to fix my wipers - 71 124 Spider

Post by dparnas »

Ruled just about everything out. The motor is good, the linkage moves freely, but no current is making it to the motor. Looks like current is coming into the switch on the steering column, but perhaps not going out. I'm a little miffed, as when the switch is in position 1 for intermittent, the intermittent relay clicks behind the dash which would lead me to believe current is leaving the column switch. But, the relay is only for intermittent, yet when I put the switch in position 2 for regular speed, still nothing, so I'm told the problem couldn't be with the relay. But, bottom line, the wipers are not moving at all. So, next step going to put the volt meter on the switch on the steering column. The wiring diagram is unbelievably confusing at least for me. Anyone provide guidance on which wires I should be checking on the steering column? Any other suggestions for things to look for?
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Re: Still trying to fix my wipers - 71 124 Spider

Post by seabeelt »

OK lets attach the problem in a logical fashion. Lets start at the wiper motor. You say you have tested the motor ie removed it or at least the cowel panel and applied voltage from a battery source with a positive an negative clip to to the motor and it functions. Am I correct so far? Next check the ground wire from the wiper motor clip back to the fender ground plug and make sure you have continuity and a clean connection at both ends. If you have a good ground here you can now start tracing the wiring backward on the voltage supply side. If you didnt have a good ground clean the connections and try the wipers again - still not working??? Again we are looking for voltage not current. If you dont have one, a simple multi-meter from Home depot for around $20.00 will help with checking the continuity/resistance and voltage at various connections. ( Also note that the relay will click if there is an insufficient groung ie it cannot develop the required voltage and current to actuate the bi-metal spring withing the relay that creates the delay- hense the clicking) Lets start with these couple of items and then post your results. Keep the faith :)
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current