1980 highbeams not working ? on turning lights

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ctbob

1980 highbeams not working ? on turning lights

Post by ctbob »

Hi all, Just got this car a few weeks ago checking things out that need fixing. Found that when I turn the highbeam stick on all the lights go off. Any idea? Also when You use the blinkers left or right the light on the dash flashes both left and right at the same time, but the marker light you have on outside is the only blinking(left or right).Any ideas on that one. Thanks Bob
Exit98

Re: 1980 highbeams not working ? on turning lights

Post by Exit98 »

CTBob,

Are you in Conn? Why not put your location in your profile. Actually I wish everyone would.

Anyway, the blinker thing is easy. The left & right arrows on the dash blink whenever the directional signals are used, left or right. Seems kinda silly but that's how it works. Really doesn't matter when you think about it.

About the highbeams, check the fuses, there are two, one for each, but one bad fuse will ofter turn both off. Next check the grounds which I understand are up in the engine compartment near the lights, unless you have he headlight relay fix, then you'll have to check it or them. Be sure the fuses are tight, chances are that's where the problem is.

Good luck, let us know.
Exit98

Post by Exit98 »

OOPS Dupl.
1976sport

Post by 1976sport »

Fuse for sure also check the connection under the hood unplug it and clean it up. If the turn signals are going on outside the car then look for a inline fuse uder the dash right side of steering column this all seems to possibbly relay to the hazard light switch. FUN.
Did you install a turn signal flasher recently? If so get a new one.