1976 fan switch

Gotta love that wiring . . .
qcetc

1976 fan switch

Post by qcetc »

I looked but could not find this topic for my year car. 1976 Spider.
I have my car all painted and looking great...FINALLY. I needed to tidy up some wiring of course and the colors in the wiring diagram do not match mine. I can not get the fan to come on by itself. My temp gauge is working perfect now. Replace sensors. I also tested the radiator with a point and shoot gauge. Temp climbs to 200 and nothing happens. I think I have the wrong wires hooked up. When I got the car the PO had spliced wires under the hood, so this is the mess I have to deal with now. I want to go for a ride!

Thanks
Rick
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: 1976 fan switch

Post by mdrburchette »

Have you tested the operation of the fan by touching the two fan switch wires together? Do the wires go to a relay that may be faulty? I'm not familiar with the 76 wiring schematic.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
qcetc

Post by qcetc »

Thats the problem...I don't know the color for the wires that should be hooked up to the radiator switch. Seems as thought the 76 for some reason has different color wires. I have a yellow/black wire that is long enough to get to it. Both wires are the same color aren't they.? I only have the one yellow/black dotted wire.

Thanks
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

http://www.artigue.com/fiat/wiring/1975_124_spider.pdf

The wiring for 75 and 76 are the same. I have a much better and easier to read original diagram I can email you. matt.scarton@gmail.com

Typically the fan wiring is: Thicker Blue wire with solid black stripe is an always hot 12V with a similar diameter black wire with white spots as the ground. The switch acts as an interupt for the ground wire. However the 76 had a fan relay so the wiring is a bit more complex than some of the other models.