Lost the ignition key

Gotta love that wiring . . .
MacMan

Lost the ignition key

Post by MacMan »

The title says it all.

Can a locksmith cut me a new key if a get a blank from http://www.keys4classics.com/index.html? And could they do it with the switch still in the car?

Or do I have to buy a new switch and key?

Am I screwed? I really don't know what to do ...
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: Lost the ignition key

Post by rlux4 »

A locksmith can cut a key with the switch in the car. They put in a blank, wiggle it, pull it out and file on the marks the pins have made. This gets repeated until the key is cut away enough to clear the pins. The price wil vary, and you may be looking at over $60. My daughter's boyfriend just had it done though and they shopped around till they found a guy who said that because things were slow he'd come to the house and do it for $40.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by courtenay »

I bought key blanks from Keys4Classics - great service etc. But I found when I went to have the keys cut at my local locksmith that the locksmith also had blanks that would have worked. Interestingly, though, the locksmith was hesitant to cut the Keys4Classics blanks as they were steel. Apparently most blanks are now made of some composite metal that is softer and easier on the cutting machines. The steel is much stronger and lasts longer.
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago
Exit98

Post by Exit98 »

MacMan,

Sorry about the key. No help to remind us all that one ignition key is one too few.

My PO only had one set when I got the car. Knowing that it wasn't a matter of "if" but "when" I seached for the correct blank for my 76 for quite a bit, and got a couple that were close but didn't work. Then I found this place, which conincidentially but not importantly is in our fair state of NJ,

http://mysecuritypro.com/index.aspx

Seems to be a husband and wife outfit and they were a little confused, but quite friendly and helpful and I got the blanks I needed, fast and cheap. One thing helpful they have on line are pdf's of all the blanks, both sides and the tip, in actual size so you can measure your key against the profile.

Now I not only have a spare set of keys in my house, I also have another set in a bag under my back seat. So when I lock my keys in the trunk the spares are handy. And since I've taken the time and energy to create this redundancy I'll probably never have to use it.

Or I'll break the key off in the lock.

Oh, don't tell anybody.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Let's hope you can find a locksmith willing to try cutting a key with the switch in the car cuz there's no easy way to get the switch out of the car without the key, short of cutting the metal brace that the switch sits in.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
giuliot60
Your car is a: 81 Fiat Turbo removed Spider

Post by giuliot60 »

Doug or Bruce. Do you remember what the number for the key blanks you bought?
Giulio/Charlotte
1st car '75 pistachio 128 sedan
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
Currently own an '81 Turbo (removed) Spider
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I would try and borrow an ignition switch with key from someone so you can unplug yours and plug in the borrowed one. Then find a locksmith in driving distance from your location. It is less expensive to bring the car to them then to have them come to you. I have had a few key sets duplicated at a local locksmith. Seems there are 2 key blanks that appear to be correct for the ignition switch. One of them is a little thicker and does not work correctly. A good old time lock smith will have access correct blanks.
Personally I don't agree with bringing my parts to any business that sells them and then ask them to put mine in and be responsible for the repair.
GeorgeT
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by GeorgeT »

spider2081 wrote:I would try and borrow an ignition switch with key from someone so you can unplug yours and plug in the borrowed one. Then find a locksmith in driving distance from your location. It is less expensive to bring the car to them then to have them come to you.
Pretty tough to drive with the steering column locked. When the switch is turned off, the column locks and the steering wheel won't turn.
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Thanks 2081, but George does make a good point. Unless I get lucky and the key works enough to pull the ignition out.
Giulio/Charlotte
Owned a '74 Spider, '68 Firebird, a '65 GTO convertible, and a customized '74 650 Yamaha
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

A good locksmith is worth 10 times what he will charge. They are craftsmen of the first degree. Find an old guy, pay him well.
A good one will make short work of the job..
Keith
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Agree majic. I just have to find one in Charlotte. :)
Giulio/Charlotte
djape1977
Your car is a: 1970 fiat 124bc

Post by djape1977 »

courtenay wrote:I bought key blanks from Keys4Classics - great service etc. But I found when I went to have the keys cut at my local locksmith that the locksmith also had blanks that would have worked. Interestingly, though, the locksmith was hesitant to cut the Keys4Classics blanks as they were steel. Apparently most blanks are now made of some composite metal that is softer and easier on the cutting machines. The steel is much stronger and lasts longer.
keys need to be made of material that's softer than internal parts of the lock, otherwise you have the key that lasts forever but ignition barrel (or any lock for that matter) gets worn out quite quickly
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Wow I forgot all about the steering wheel being locked. Good thing others are reading my "great ideas" LOL
Hope you find that locksmith
giuliot60

Post by giuliot60 »

Found my keys. But not letting them out of my sight until I get copies made.

Word to the wise - Get duplicates made before you have to go through all this stress and expense.
Giulio/Charlotte
leeputmanjr

Post by leeputmanjr »

Tow your car to Freak Out, and have everyone there try their ignition keys. SOMEONE there will have a key that works, and you'll be able to copy THAT!

I saw someone do this with trunk keys at '08 - a guy had locked his keys in the trunk on the showfield!