Ignition switch question

Gotta love that wiring . . .
ace124
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat 124 Sports AC coupe

Ignition switch question

Post by ace124 »

Hello and great to see this forum has a dedicated electricals section :)
When you turn the ignition off and remove the key, should there still be power enabling you to turn on the lights inside and out and work the wipers, cigarette lighter etc? My 1969 AC coupe does, but im sure my previous CC coupes didnt? Someone please confirm this.
I looked at the spade connectors on the back of the switch and they match up to the wiring diagram colours, even though there are 3 free spades on the back of the switch.
Im thinking if its supposed to turn off all the power, then mine may have a short inside?

Thank you
courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: Ignition switch question

Post by courtenay »

Not sure about the cig lighter, but when I turn off the igition on my '80, the lights, wipers, radio don't work. The hazards do, though.
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago
SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Post by SLOSpider »

Parking and interior lights should work but not headlights and wipers on any of mine.
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback
ace124
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat 124 Sports AC coupe

Post by ace124 »

Hmmm...ok. well on mine everything works including the 1969 dealer fitted AM radio!
What year model cars are we talking? Im thinking maybe the earlier ones were wired different????
My eyes are failing me, and im struggling to follow the wiring diagrams now so i can compare.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

You need Brad Artigue's wiring diagrams. http://artigue.com/?page_id=3 They're CAD based, so you can blow them up to any size and not loose any clarity. I had Kinkos print mine out on 11X17 sheets and even my old peepers can read them now. They have internet access at Kinkos and can go right to the website, or you can download to a CD and take it to them.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
james124

Post by james124 »

Ace, I believe nothing but the emergency and brake lights should work when the key is out or on the off position. Sometimes the radio (for the drive-ins) is also connected in this fashion. With the key in the run position, everything should work. There could be a short inside the ignition switch if an accessory works when the key is in the off position, or the connection is improperly wired in the back. This doesn't matter much if the accessory itself has its own switch. I'm not sure of the ignition switch you are using, but some of the original old switches' architecture made it impossible to have a short. If the wiring doesn't suit you try studying the switch architecture and experiment with the connections on the back. PM me if you need more info. Good luck, James
ROOK1

Post by ROOK1 »

Ace. I have the same issue with my '71. All lights, wipers, turn signals and heater fan work with the key out. I had to rewire mine when I got it and I may have messed it up. I am going to check mine to this diagram Ron provided soon and I'll let you know the results.
Thanks for the link Ron. It sure beats my factory B&W diagram that came with the car.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Glad I could help, Rook. I am blown away by how much work Brad Artigue has done to help the Fiat community. When I use my blown up diagrams, I have to clear whatever table I'm at, they're so big!
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.