Remote shifter idea

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Joe Clemente

Remote shifter idea

Post by Joe Clemente »

Not sure if any of you guys passed by lately. Just wanted to show you an idea that Vintage racer Steve Cole has incorporated into his 124 Coupe. He originally wanted to use a 131 remote shifter but didn't want to chop up his interior so he's gone with this:

http://www.firebreathingfiats.com/Contr ... tepage.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

This is a bit of a cheater solution commonly used in race applications where the seating position is moved back. Uses a heim jointed end anchored to a saddle on the driveshaft tunnel. The only part requiring a bit of thought is the attachment point for the longitudinal link in order to facilitate the gear insertion. Super simple and works very well. Aestetically, I suspect it is not to everyone's taste but if you like a bit of the racer thing, I think it's cool. The nice thing is that it just extends the lever up through the ashtray instead of cutting up the lower console.

Different and definitely one I'll incorporate myself.

Your thoughts?
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

Oh and uh, how bout that anti theft system? Quick release hub...
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

my son has that quick release hub on his 96 integra. those cars will dissapear if u dont keep ur eye on them. it was already taken once, and while sitting in front of marks shop after some repairs. some dirt bag got into it again, but the alarm went off and they left.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Real nice work. I especially like the shorter shifter moved closer. Ron's race car has the quick release hub. I don't know how he'd squeeze into the seat if the steering wheel didn't come off.
Jon

Post by Jon »

The quick release hub is perhaps my favorite accessory here. How is one made or where would somebody get that done at?
Joe Clemente

Post by Joe Clemente »

You buy it as a kit.

Generally requires welding a spline which comes with the kit onto the steering shaft. The steering wheel bolts to the new hub and then the whole thing mounts onto the spline and locks. Push a button and the wheel/hub combo unlocks and removes as one unit from the spline just as easily. There are kits made with hubs adapted for MOMO/SPARCO/OMP wheels available all over the internet.