How thorough?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Zmatt

How thorough?

Post by Zmatt »

Right now I am near the point in my restoration where i am no longer taking things apart but instead putting them back together. i cam soon get the engine and transmission back into the car and I think I can have it running in 2 weeks. There is one thing that's bugging me. Looking at the engine bays and car bodies that everyone has, they are much cleaner than mine. In several cases it looks like people have taken the cars completely apart and did a body up restore. I don't have that kind of money to have a shop or myself do that, but how thorough is thorough enough? Right now the engine is out of the bay, but everything else is still in there the way I left it. It's not clean or shiny, but it's all there. Should I take it all apart and sand it all down for example?
velozi

Re: How thorough?

Post by velozi »

At least degrease the area. You may give it a quick spray paint to protect it from rust and the elements.

Not a lot of work can help you protect it for many years.
Zmatt

Post by Zmatt »

I heard of this anti rust spray paint you can get from walmart. A buddy of mine told me it wouldn't be a bad idea to spray the engine bay and the bottom of the car with a good coat of it.
mPedro08
Your car is a: 1976 124CS1 Spider

Post by mPedro08 »

POR 15 for rust, all the way.
Foster48x

Post by Foster48x »

If you have the time I would prep and paint the engine bay while you have everything out. I only say that because it kinda bugs me sometimes that I didn't do it while I had mine apart. To get it done now is going to be another major project that I just don't have time for right now. My engine bay is somewhat like yours, everythings there and it doesn't look bad but it doesn't look great!

Rick
amsiegel

Post by amsiegel »

I wish I had a reason to pull the enigine so I can touch up in the engine bay. I say if its out clean, paint, and straighten up everything while you have to room.
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

I agree. If it's already out. Get it done the way it should be. You'll regret it if you don't. It wouldn't take that much to do it right anyways. Take Pic's of what it looks like now and take notes. Take everything out and make er pretty! :P
Most important though. Take pic's for us to enjoy your work.
Zmatt

Post by Zmatt »

azygoustoyou wrote:I agree. If it's already out. Get it done the way it should be. You'll regret it if you don't. It wouldn't take that much to do it right anyways. Take Pic's of what it looks like now and take notes. Take everything out and make er pretty! :P
Most important though. Take pic's for us to enjoy your work.
I've been taking pics but for some reason my pc wont cooperate with my camera.