My turn on the suspension rebuild.. SUCCESS!..Sorta...

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
SoFlaFiat

Re: My turn on the suspension rebuild.. SUCCESS!..Sorta...

Post by SoFlaFiat »

But did you change your mind and go to the show today??? I wanna know!

Fantastic accomplishement Neil!! Well done!
njoconnor
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Post by njoconnor »

No, Allen, sad to say we had to decide Tuesday night to avoid forfeiting large deposits on the room and the dog's kennel reservation. That, plus caution stemming from the replaced lower control arm bolt, and wanting that resolved prior to any long (out of town) trips. We have another show planned for early AUG (Botham Winery, Barneveld; a return trip for us).

However.

I pulled the 3/8 bolt from the alignment shop and replaced it with a hardened (metric grade 10) 10mm bolt. I figured this would give me a little more cushion for light duty driving and getting to either my mechanic's place or back to the alignment shop. I have a proper 12mm bolt for the car, but it may need grinding on one of the flats to allow it to fully seat inside the cross member. My mechanic is due back from the Iola WI car show today, and we'll be scheduling a visit for assist with the new starter and this bolt issue (everything is better on a lift....and with an expert next to you!).

One of the important missions for this car was to make runs up the road to a family owned creamery named Sassy Cow. Fantastic milk and ice cream!! So yesterday, after re-bleeding the brakes and torquing the wheels to 65 ftlbs, I proposed a test run, and Patty agreed to co-pilot. We had not gone two blocks when she commented "I really, really like this new suspension!". Got to Sassy Cow, got the milk and ice cream (Mint Dirt Cake....outstanding!!), and Patty grabbed my keys and decided to make the return drive herself:

This is the first time she's driven the car since we bought it in 2012, and she liked driving it more than riding! No issues with the car either leg, lots of smiles, especially from kids. And from the two kids inside the car!

So, almost "there". We have about 150 miles of "urban driving" to finish while bedding in the EBC Greens. Square away the front issue, replace the starter, add the new H4 lights, .....and I'm sure something else will pop up! But that's the fun of it, and I could not be happier with the results so far!

Thanks again, all!

PS: Mike (seabeelt): A/R progressive springs and Koni yellows on full soft is DEFINITELY the ride; though with the dual 40's, you may want a click or two up on the Koni's..... :wink:

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
14 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
and a host of Audi's, Saabs, VW's, MOPAR's, Fords, and a Bimmer....
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Post by seabeelt »

Thanks Neil. I'm running KYBs and like them. I don't push the car all that hard in the turns (yet) until I do the rest of the suspension/ bushings. Almost hate to take it apart as it runs straight and true and has no real,groans or squeaks. It's just visually you can see that the bushings in particular have had their day. I'm going really old school and just replacing the bushings and ball joints instead of an A-arm assembly. ( have had them in a box waiting to do the old spider). I'll throw th A-arms in the blasting cabinet and give them a good coat of Eastwood 2k afterwards. It will take a little longer, but no hurry in the winter months. I do think I may change the pinion seal this weekend and refresh the oil though.

R/
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current
njoconnor

Post by njoconnor »

Part of the improvement has been sonic, with all of the bushings replaced. The harsh impact sounds coming up through the chassis are gone, and the car itself feels just that much tighter. Replacing all the bushings is an extended task, but worth it in the end, IMO.

I like the "old school" approach! Be sure to post the process once you get started this winter.

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
njoconnor

Post by njoconnor »

Quick update:

Spent this evening at my mechanic's shop. Disconnected the battery, got the car up on the lift, and we had at it. 2 hrs later we had the new gear reduction starter installed and operational, the main CV hose replced with the correct item, and a proper 12mm bolt installed and torqued down for the passenger lower control arm (subbed in for the PO's 7/16 bolt, which in turn replaced the original 12mm stud in the cross member).

What a difference that starter makes! Engine has no choice but to start! The peace of mind knowing tht I've replaced/repaired/properly fastened the entire suspension is immeasurable as well.

Going to order a new fuel pump (per Brad A), as well as a new carb spacer (to replace the missing one). I only recently switched to E0 in the car, and the PO was running E85, so I figure I may as well replace the pump now before it fails.

Getting closer to "just tweaking" and not replacing.....

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Post by seabeelt »

Well Neil. I love that it has turned out so well.
Sadly we got rid of the orange car due to unibody rust. Well heck just rust everywhere. It was to the point the car was no longer safe to drive for fear of something major breaking in the structure of the car. Soooo I never got around to the suspension. Wait for it…… Wait for it…….
Ok we got a new 71 from BAT with only 63 k miles and super clean body. I just finished with my son the front suspension. New control arm bushings upper and lower both sides new lower ball joints both sides and the PITA front sway bar bushings. New center link and tie rods as well New KYBS all around and new slotted rotors and pads in the front. Still need to do the rear trailing arms and dog bones as well as the pan hard bushings.

I did pull the rear wheels to do the brakes but found the pads were like 75% good so I will wait a bit. Did find the diff seals are leaking though.

Pulled the rebuilt head and IDFs from the orange car and bolted them on. A whole other thread there but what a difference
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current