Alignment specs

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Alignment specs

Post by Nut124 »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
Nut124 wrote:Last nite I set the toe-in to 4.5mm.
Was the car loaded up or unloaded? I'm thinking for loaded, your adjustment is probably very close, but for unloaded, it may be on the low side.

-Bryan
The car was not loaded. Afterwards, i propped a yard stick on the wheel and placed a jack stand right next to the tip of the stick, some 10" forward of the tire. I loaded the front of the car and could see no perceivable movement at the end of the yard stick. Checked toe-in measurements and they were the same, 4.5 within the resolution of my measurement.

I have stiffer, shorter springs and less travel upon load. That could be why no change.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Alignment specs

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Nut124 wrote:I have stiffer, shorter springs and less travel upon load. That could be why no change.
That makes sense. With my car (original springs), I attached a 4 foot metal rod to my tire with duct tape. When I sat on the fender, the very tip of the front of the rod (about 2' in front of the tire) moved a few mm, so that would mean the front of the tire was moving only 1 or 2mm. Bouncing on the fender caused the tip of the rod to move about a cm, but again, that's only 3 or 4mm movement at the front of the tire. But, enough to go into "toe-out mode" if the static toe-in setting is too small.

In your case, it sounds like you're good to go. Happy Easter!
-Bryan