Fuel Pump issues? 81 FI spider

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jacobdbrown

Re: Fuel Pump issues? 81 FI spider

Post by jacobdbrown »

Thanks. That should give me plenty to fool around with tomorrow.

"The air flow meter can have a sticking flap, or bad connections or potentiometer. "

Is this the flap readily reachable by removing the air intake hose from the rear of the sensor box? Are these connectors likely the external ones that I could replace? (I'd rather not spend $600 on a new unit) What's a potentiometer, and would that be something in my manual or wiring diagram?
So Cal Mark wrote:Quite often the connector is broken and doesn't make a good connection. Replacement ends are available. If you're getting a odor like a rich mixture, check the pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum hose off and look for any signs of wetness.
"Connector" for the fuse and "ends" for the same or something else? Wetness on the inside of the vac hose, I assume?

Thanks again. This is a huge help...
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Unless the flap is bent it shouldn't need replacement. What usually happens is as it opens there is very little tolerance around it. A little build up of gunk will snag it and keep it from opening fully. As a normal maintenance item you should take the air flow meter off and clean up it's plenum. A shot of dry lubricant on the pivot points won't hurt. The potentiometer for it is under the black cap on the top of the meter. An arm is moved across it as the flap opens and the electrical resistance increases the farther it travels. This resistance level is read by the ECU and tells it the position of the flap. You also have one on the throttle postition sensor. A reading in ohms across the range of motion of the potentiometer would tell you if it's good or not. However, before you get into the technical stuff, go by the "check the simple stuff first" method. Good connections, a freely moving flap (check it by moving it fully by hand), cracks in the air boot, good grounds and a reliable inline fuse for the dual relay.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the connector I referred to is the temp sensor connector on the water tee
jacobdbrown

Post by jacobdbrown »

Whatever the problem is, it seems to be cumulative, because it's shutting off while running more and more often. Tomorrow I should be able to do some diagnostics and see what this problem really is for sure.
jacobdbrown

Post by jacobdbrown »

It seems to be fluctuating the idle rpm too...
jacobdbrown

Post by jacobdbrown »

one of the fuel vapor hoses is disconnected, but the hose won't fit onto the small filter looking thing (near rear of car)

electric connectors at aux air sensor, temp sensor and cold start valve all look awful... ordering new ones now