1980 fiat fiasco wiring question

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Slawnski
Your car is a: 1980 Pininfarina x 2

Re: 1980 fiat fiasco wiring question

Post by Slawnski »

Thank you! I’ll try the swap this weekend and focus on the ignition side of things. There was a bag in the trunk that contained some distributor guts- I should see what the PO changed.
Slawnski

Re: 1980 fiat fiasco wiring question - solved!

Post by Slawnski »

I’ve now gone back to the ignition side of the equation. Pulled all the plugs and replaced them. Swapped the distributor and it fired right up. 2 bad plugs and 1 questionable. The only good plug out of the set was #1- the one that I kept using to test. The distributor in the car looks to have had components replaced ( bag of parts in the car) so I thought it best to put in a known working distributor. A ways to go but making progress now.

Relieved that this former parts car is that much closer being brought back to life. So much more to do - still might need the air flow sensor- that was the only component that the testing showed to be bad.

Thank you to everyone that helped me get this far.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Great news now you can relax and enjoy your cars.
Slawnski

Post by Slawnski »

Drove the fiat out of the garage last night- wouldn’t rev much beyond a high idle. I’m assuming this has to do with the air flow sensor that testing proved to be bad. Need to source a sensor- nice to drive the car around instead of pushing it!
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I thought in a previous post you stated the flap in the air flow sensor moved smoothly and that the components under its cover looked in good condition. These 2 things usually eliminate the AFS as an issue.

Have you checked the coolant temperature sensor resistance at pin 13 of the computer under the glove box?
Have you visually checked the spark plugs after this run to see how they look?
Slawnski

Post by Slawnski »

It was moving smoothly and operating physically but going through the Bosh troubleshooting for fuel injection- testing the ECU and the dual relay 3 of the tests revealed the air control needed to be replaced. I have yet to swap over the running/ driving goats control to the parts car- I should probably do that before I plunk down money on a new or used/working unit.

I should also pull the plugs and see what they look like- good point.

Cool and temperature resistance was part of my checks I believe- I’ll need to double back on that