Carburator ignorance

General chat about the car goes in here.
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Re: Carburator ignorance

Post by geospider »

Unsure of the cost of the Chinese version. this one is $375

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/WEBER_3 ... 80.070.htm

these guys are great to work with. I got one in a day, but of course I am only a few hours away
set the float. I put a smaller primary idle jet, 50.
and it was easy to get it all going. then nothing too have to do.

Geo
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Post by Anbele »

As a well known Hollywood actor once said: “alright, alright, alright”…it turns out that my PO had installed a 32/36 DFEV already. BUT, he/she left the original manifold—which to say the least—really puzzles me.
As far as I can see, most of the vac lines are canceled, although still there. The EGR as well. But I guess not functioning. Is this possible? I meant, to leave everything in place but just not functioning. Did he/she (albeit, me now) gained any worth HPs with just the carb replacement? Would I gain 50% more by replacing the manifold? (My logic: carb + manifold = 100%).
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Anbele wrote:Did he/she (albeit, me now) gained any worth HPs with just the carb replacement? Would I gain 50% more by replacing the manifold? (My logic: carb + manifold = 100%).
As much as we would like to think that removing emissions control systems (or the crappy carbs/manifolds associated with those) will solve all the problems, it doesn't work that way. Fiat designed the engines to run with all these systems, and so if you just disconnect them without adjusting things elsewhere, the engines usually run poorly.

Yes, it is possible to run with all the emission stuff disconnected, but without modifications, you're likely to see hard starting, low gas mileage, poor performance, whatever.

Fortunately, if you live in a state where they don't look too closely at the engine as long as you pass the "exhaust pipe" smog test, you can set up the engine to run clean, have lower emissions and better performance. But, it takes more than just disconnecting vacuum hoses.

-Bryan
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

Well then. A lot of this depends on what you want out of this car.
If decent performance, you can get that with the 32/36.
the '79 dual plane manifold is the problem, as well as the 28/32 carb (that you don't apparently have). your secondary opens into very small passages that do very little. The only year they tried to handle increased US smog before going to FI
I can see if all of the vac lines are disconnected and no vac leaks, might run ok at best.

get a single plane manifold for this and all will change.. much better performance and can clean up a lot of crap.

geo
Fiatlanta
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 124

Post by Fiatlanta »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:I have no personal experience, but I've heard stories of issues with the Chinese knockoffs: poor machining, loose throttle spindles, inaccurate jet sizes, residue lodged in passageways, etc. These are things that a rebuild kit won't fix.

While some folks have gotten Chinese versions that worked just fine, there is a risk.

-Bryan
I never got my Chinese knockoff from eBay to work right. New motto is buy once, cry once...spent the money on the Weber and haven't regretted it.