Under-hood/cowl sound-deadening material?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: Under-hood/cowl sound-deadening material?

Post by DieselSpider »

RRoller123 wrote:
bjbrown wrote:4Uall, thanks. Did you use that EZ Cool stuff in the cowl trough? Any problems with it getting wet?

Drummond, do you have any information on where to source the rattle trap mat? Is it similar to the EZ Cool mat that 4Uall cited? You said to put it on the outside AND inside. When you put it on the inside (under the dashboard), is there any interference with the electrical or heater or A/C systems to watch out for? I currently have my dash completely stripped of everything down to the unit body being painted. It'd be good to get the sound deadening on before re-assembling anything.
You don't want to apply any of these insulating foam products to the trough of the cowl, since they are not suitable for an application that is meant to become repeatedly wet. Use an Undercoating or a Truck Bed Liner spray product. I used undercoating on the cowl trough of mine, and used truck bed spray liner on the floor of the cabin, then EZ Cool over the TBL in the cabin.

Pete
Yes indeed you do not want to lay a mat or any other material in there that could potentially trap water either inside it or underneath it. A sound proofing coating with good adhesive properties along with UV and Water resistance is whats needed.
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

Anbele wrote:I second PaulC for sure!
Yes this account needs to be closed and the posts removed before someone accidentally clicks on one of those links and suffers a data breach, identity theft, etc, etc.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Inappropriate postings can really damage a forum, and I have reported about ten of these spam postings. I'm guessing the admin is out for a Thanksgiving break, so I'm willing to wait and see what happens next week.

And by the way, let's give a shout-out to the 99.9% of you who make this forum an enjoyable and helpful resource! Thanks!

-Bryan