Starter relay confusion

Gotta love that wiring . . .
majicwrench

Re: Starter relay confusion

Post by majicwrench »

Well, I couldn't find an old starter, got one somewhere??
I can understand the relay in the system, you are just taking the load off of the ign switch. Still doubt the 40 amps, gotta find that starter.....
' Keith
blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Starter relay confusion

Post by blurple124 »

seabeelt wrote:I also doubt the 40 amps, based upon the red wire size. The largest fuse in the fuse box is (or should be) 25 amps for that size wire going to and from the fuse box.
I doubted it, as well, but I'm saying that is what I measured. This was on a spare starter I had lying around. I think I will try the one that is on the car now to see how they compare. I am testing using a clamp DMM.

Seabeelt, the only problem with your assertion is that the solenoid is not a fused circuit on the original harness, and because the load is high for only a couple seconds at a time, the need for a heavier wire isn't as crucial.

If this 40 Amp measurement is accurate, then I don't know what FIAT was thinking. The starter/relay combo on my car draws 150 amps peak with a 100 amp cranking draw. If 40% of that is just the solenoid, then what is the point? It doesn't make any sense, it can't be right.... but that is what I measured...
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport