Unknown wire on fuse block #2

Gotta love that wiring . . .
NGinuity

Unknown wire on fuse block #2

Post by NGinuity »

Hey everyone,

Still cleaning up the wiring on that '82.

I've got a blue wire/black trace wire sharing the topside of fuse block (unfused side) position #2 with the blue wire/red trace that comes from the ignition switch. The connection is the factory wiring, so it's nothing that was modified. I'm pretty sure that wire has been dead before because the PO cut blue/red out of the harness after a harness fire and bridged the brown wire on the bottom side of #2 with #1 with a nifty wrap together and tape job. When I ohm it from #2 to ground, I pull 600 ohms of resistance, which is probably showing up from the lighting circuit somewhere (blue/red is connected to light blue on the other side of the ignition harness), but in an effort to test the wire and make sure there's truly not a short in it, I'm trying to identify the other one. Anyone got any ideas?

As soon as I get the ratty wiring in the fuse block straight, THEN I can tackle the fuel relay issue I'm having, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were related.
NGinuity

Re: Unknown wire on fuse block #2

Post by NGinuity »

Ok, sorry for the rambling, bear with my frustration please. This was originally supposed to be a simple stereo install until I was forced to address the hackjob wiring that started at the cigarette lighter. I think I found what it is. On page 8 of the "Artigue" schematic (http://www.artigue.com/fiat/wiring/Wiring_1980_1982.pdf), it looks like it's labeled as "blue/pink" but if you trace the wire to the connector, it becomes blue/black and goes to the charge indicator light on the dash. I think it's a typo. Can someone tell me though, why I might be pulling 600 ohms of resistance on that circuit (or possibly be willing to test to see what they're pulling on a working circuit)? The wire looks pretty foolproof in the fact that it goes from the ignition switch to fuse block through that master loom in between the steering wheel and the dash, just trying to rule out a short inside the loom because the harness was on fire in that position and I really wouldn't want that to be the cause when I start it again! :-) I'm thinking it was the power draw from the lights that caused the fire, and I think if I did have a short, I'd be seeing a lot less resistance than 600 ohms, but I've seen short resistance that small in other scenarios.

While I have your attention, there's something else in the schematic I wanted to know about that appears to be absent on the car. On page three, it shows 2 brown wires coming from the fused side. One goes to the washer/wiper circuit, and the other one hits C16 on the way to the heater fan switch. I've only got one brown wire coming off of #2. Is this the norm to have two wires or is there another schematic typo?

It looks like the PO did all of this when he had limited means. He sliced off the blue wires on both sides of the harness, used a blue quick disconnect to hook the ignition switch blue/black to the blue wire for the lights, and left the blue/red out. (Really wish he would have just used a Yellow quick disconnect here to crimp in both wires, hey it's something slightly better.)

To compensate for the now blue/red absence on #2, he pulled the brown wire off of the fused side of #2 and slaved it off of the fused side of #1 by stripping back insulation above the connector, wrapping it around the exposed, and putting electrical tape around that, so #2 has been dead for quite some time from the looks of it. Something that could have been fixed with a new quick disconnect female spade.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I am on my way to work so I didn't have time to look at Brad's print. I have a wire diagram for 1981 and it shows a bule/red wire from the "int" position of the ignition switch to "fuse B" (2) . At this terminal it is joined with a blue/black that continues to the fuel injection system.
The protected side of "fuse B" (2) has 2 brown wires attached to what appears to be two terminals. One is for the windshield wipers & washer. The other is to the heater and fuel injection.
This is from the Spider 2000 Electrical Diagnosstic Manual 1980-1981 I am not sure it is exactly what you have but I think it should be very close.
NGinuity

Post by NGinuity »

Yeah, that's what I have. I actually found the second brown wire cut and tucked up into the dash... :-/

Now we'll see if the car will crank tonight. Many thanks for the level set!
NGinuity

Post by NGinuity »

Ok, now that things are fixed, the wipers do not appear to function. I'm looking into that and will provide more info shortly!
bradartigue
Your car is a: 1970 Sport Spider

Post by bradartigue »

Typo! Never! They are all perfect, just like FIAT's wiring...

I'll look at that diagram while flying home today, I may have it mislabeled. Again though oftentimes your car doesn't match the diagrams because, well, it was Friday when it was built.
NGinuity

Post by NGinuity »

bradartigue wrote:Typo! Never! They are all perfect, just like FIAT's wiring...

I'll look at that diagram while flying home today, I may have it mislabeled. Again though oftentimes your car doesn't match the diagrams because, well, it was Friday when it was built.
I understand. On that note, though. Thanks for doing the diagrams. They've been a tremendous help to me while putting this car back in stock configuration!