rear bumper removal

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Torxx

rear bumper removal

Post by Torxx »

I have read that the rear bumper can be removed by loosening the fuel tank and lifting it without disconnecting it. A local guy that works on fiats said the filler tube is an issue and the tank needs to emptied and disconnected. Any first hand knowledge on a '79 spider? It would be nice not to disconnect. These bumpers got to go.

Thanks
Ragno Volante

Post by Ragno Volante »

I tried like crazy not to remove mine. In the end the only way was to drain it and lift in over to the side. It really wasn't to big of a deal. Good luck.
Torxx

Post by Torxx »

Thanks. I like your car. You have obviously put a lot of work into it. Great job.

I got interested in a Stainless Steel wire mesh grill from a thread on the Fiat Center Forum. What material did you use on your lower grill?

Thanks
Ragno Volante

Post by Ragno Volante »

Torxx wrote:Thanks. I like your car. You have obviously put a lot of work into it. Great job.

I got interested in a Stainless Steel wire mesh grill from a thread on the Fiat Center Forum. What material did you use on your lower grill?

Thanks
Thanks. It's stainless mesh that I got in a sheet from AutoZone.
BigBird68

Post by BigBird68 »

Like your car as well, my concern is the seats that you put in as these are the same seats I'm looking at. What fit problems did you have with them?
Ragno Volante

Post by Ragno Volante »

BigBird68 wrote:Like your car as well, my concern is the seats that you put in as these are the same seats I'm looking at. What fit problems did you have with them?
BB,

Fitment wasn't too bad. I had to fabricate an adaptor bracket from aluminum to get the bracket to align with the mounting points in the car. The seats are comfortable and supportive. The only issue I ran into is you sit about 2" higher than stock seats, if you are over 6' tall it could pose a small problem with the top of the windshield in your line of sight. The good is that it puts you in a more comfortable driving postion. Plus they look pretty cool. Hope that helps.
Torxx

Post by Torxx »

autozone... I would have never thought. do you mind if I ask how much the material runs there?

I got lucky and found some at an industrial duct fabricator who had a huge roll of SS mesh. Charged me $30 for 3' x 4'. Unfortunatly the squares are too small for my likeing (1/8th inch). The next best prices I found for the material are $125 plus shipping.
Ragno Volante

Post by Ragno Volante »

Torxx wrote:autozone... I would have never thought. do you mind if I ask how much the material runs there?

I got lucky and found some at an industrial duct fabricator who had a huge roll of SS mesh. Charged me $30 for 3' x 4'. Unfortunatly the squares are too small for my likeing (1/8th inch). The next best prices I found for the material are $125 plus shipping.
I belive it was $35 for approx 2' x 3' piece.