Tail Light

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Kent124

Tail Light

Post by Kent124 »

This is an shot of the driver's tail light area from inside the trunk.

The tail lights are held in place by 8mm nuts except for this funky thing. Is this normal for Fiat or did someone Guido the tail light for me?

I am having trouble removing the funky thing so I suspect it was added to enhance my maintenance pleasure.

Running this past forum members in case I am unenlightened on Fiat's tail light assemblies.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Tail Light

Post by mdrburchette »

What year model are you working on, Kent? Nothing like that in my 72.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
Kent124

Post by Kent124 »

manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

On all models the tail light housings were held to the body via a threaded post cast into the plastic light housing. The threaded post passes through the body sheet metal and is retained by a small 8mm nut. It appears you have a 79 or later style tail light. That aluminum retainer that you see is commonly seen on the 78 and earlier tail lights to retain the lenses to the tail light housing.

At some point in the history of your car either the small 8mm nut was lost, or the PO got fed up trying to get the nut on/off since you need a deep well socket. So....the small 8mm nut was replaced with that aluminum retainer...which also works and is probably easier to remove than the small 8mm nut. Just grab it with some pliers and twist it off, but be careful since almost all the tail light threaded posts that are cast into the tail light housings are usually corroded and will sometimes twist off or pull out of the tail light housing.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

I think my 72 has something like is in the pic.
Kent124

Post by Kent124 »

Aluminum retainer... thanks.

I did try to take off with bare hands but skin came off my fingers instead. Have also been trying to remove it using pliers with little luck. Can twist with pliers but retainer never really loosens up. Retainer also doesn't look like it has backed out at all. Even after initially spraying the outside and down the hole with WD-40.

Guess I'll take the other nuts off first and mess with more.

If it doesn't come off I am tempted to write SpaceShipOne suggesting they consider using Fiat aluminum retainers on their suborbital space vehicles as a permanent connector.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

I can't remember if that hole goes all the way through to the threads. Try vice grips.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Try some heat. Bear in mind that the stud ends up in plastic, so you cannot get it glowing hot.
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

If it's turning but not comming off, my guess is that the stud in the tail light Iis spinning, although the threads in the aluminum nut could be stripped. Usually the studs just break off for me and I knock them out and replace them with rivnuts and bolts.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
ThomasP

Post by ThomasP »

I have the same thing on my 76 and it was a bear to get off. Use a lot of WD40 and take a 3 day vacation and when you get back it should be loose enough to remove.
grittracing

Post by grittracing »

dare i say this is the filler tube for the turn signal fluid :lol:
124ADDHE
Your car is a: 1974 Spider Amalgamation with C40 Solex

Post by 124ADDHE »

I had all 8 on my 74 with these funny post-nuts and my 78 had only 2 (the rest are conventional nuts) and my 81' had 0.
Regards,
Keith Cox
1973 124 Spider
1973 John Deere 500c backhoe
1987 Jaguar VDP
2013 passat tdi
2015 cherokee
Zippy
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat

Post by Zippy »

SInce yours is an 80 it is probably different but here is a picture of my 78.

Here is a link to a much larger copy of the same image. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
http://www.cruzin.us/fiatpics.html
1978 Spider
seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Post by seabeelt »

Those long aluminum nuts were to hold the plastic inside the trunk tail light cover (which most of us are missing) Originally those plastic covers kept stuff out of the tail light assembly, but were a pain in the neck every time you had to change a bulb. The small nut are what hold the tail light in place, the aluminum long ones are for the plastic coer only if memory serves me correctly. New style lights 79 and up didnt have the plastic covers.
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current