Flasher not working - one side only

Gotta love that wiring . . .
perthling

Flasher not working - one side only

Post by perthling »

At the moment when I indicate to turn right the flasher works like a charm. Over the last few months when I indicate to turn left, the flasher has been a bit slower than when switched to the right. I thought it was probably a bad earth (suspected the taillight earth as when I applied the brakes there would be a slowing further of the flash). Checked that out, nothing obvious, and now when I indicate left I just get one 'click' of the relay then nothing.

Anything simple I should check first before I start digging around under the dashboard to sort through the wiring? Evidently the problem isn't with the flasher unit itself, but somewhere on the left hand side wiring.

As an aside, the hazard lights have never worked but the switch has to stay in the circuit - so I might try and fix that at the same time.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

I know this sounds elementary, but have you checked the bulbs? My left side is doing this and it's always a blown bulb.
Ragno Volante

Post by Ragno Volante »

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a ground in the trunk came lose. If memeory serves me correctly, it was actually connected to one of the studs that holds the light assembly on the car.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Do not just suspect the exact corner that is giving the symptoms. Think the whole circuit involved (not just the left rear corner, but the whole left side).

an issue in the front could show symptoms in the back.

earth = UK equivelant of US ground

ttfn = ta ta for now
fiater

Post by fiater »

In addition to bad grounds, blown fuses and bad bulbs, I've had bad sockets and/or poor connections. The last one was a wire that was pop rivited to the socket by a PO.
perthling

Post by perthling »

Bulbs seem fine (front and back). I also attempted to disconnect the front light circuit to see if the problem persisted (it did - but that may not have actually confirmed anything if it is an open circuit).

Bathroom renovations and imminent birth of my first child permitting, I'll get stuck into it again this weekend. Problem may well be on the circuit to the side repeater at the front - it seems to have been operating intermittently of late anyway.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

This is a perfect time for a lazy day project. Sorry dear, i cannot change the baby's diaper right now. I got BIG wiring issues on the Spider!!
dkphotog

Re: Flasher not working - one side only

Post by dkphotog »

I have the exact same thing happening - this winter my husband said we are going to clean all the wiring, get a new and more powerful alternator and hopefully my baby will flash on all both sides. I'll check the wiring on the left side for now and see if anything came loose.

Good thing I love projects.