Alternator or just a Gremlin?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Alternator or just a Gremlin?

Post by mdrburchette »

It would kill the fun factor, that's for sure.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

350,s have been done several different times into a spider. Some done very well. I think its better left with the original twin cam. The x 1/9 is a better candidate for engine swaps.
Also manuels come up cheap on ebay all the time. Ive collected almost everyone ever made.
Red76

Post by Red76 »

UPDATE:
Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. The only hard part was finding what relay to make the wire splice on. Well good thing there is only one relay with the (yellow or yellow/red) and (violet/white) wire combination. I still do not have the light in the tach working but I'm pretty sure I'm charging. I don't have a volt meter on hand to be sure but I have rigged a test light. When I put one end of the light to the pos on the alternator and the ground to the body of the car it lights up. So I'm guessing its working.
Again thanks for all the help.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

with your test method, it sounds like you're just verifying battery power to the alternator. Does you test light get brighter when you rev the engine?
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Does your alternator light come on when you first turn the key? I think something is still not right. Have you bypassed the relay? You shouldn't need the relay with the later model alternator.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
Red76

Post by Red76 »

Here are the steps I took:
Disconnected the GRAY field wire from the alt
Connected the lose Yellow/Red wire to the field plug on the alt

Was not sure what relay to do the work on but I think I got it right. Of the six relays on the drivers side wheel well I did the splicing on the one furthest to the left/drivers side closest to the driver. It was the only one with the yellow/red - violet/white wire combination.

Cut those wires and spliced them together. (will post a pic tomorrow)

Still no dash light for the alt. However I have run it for two days off and on without charging the battery. Each time I run it I have everything on. Lights, radio, ect to try an push the system. Lights seem nice and bright, turn signals/flashers work at a good pace and the wipers seem faster.
I have also noticed that after i start the motor when its cold the lights are just a little dim until I rev the motor one time. After that they stay at constant bright level.

Will have the volt meter replaced tomorrow to be sure.