Beating the proverbial "ignition switch horse"

Gotta love that wiring . . .
surfingfreeman
Your car is a: 1982 2000 FI

Beating the proverbial "ignition switch horse"

Post by surfingfreeman »

Hello all I have an 82' FI that is having the intermittent starting problems that seems to be from faulty connections or ignition switch problems at any rate I am going to go through things with a voltmeter this morning to better isolate/identify problem but would like to put a relay in the ignition/starter circuit to take the load off the ignition switch, could someone in the know draw out a simple diagram of the relay and how it wires into the starter/solenoid/ignition circuit. Thanks.
Mike
wikkid

Re: Beating the proverbial "ignition switch horse"

Post by wikkid »

Check out posts 4 and 5, by jimincalif and spider2081, respectively, on the link below. They both give very good descriptions of the wiring, both clear enough so you should be able to work it without any diagram.
http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic ... lay#p92801
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

MIke, what intermittent starting problems are you having? Is it that the engine will crank, but not start? If so, it may not be your problem, but it was on my car: the inline fuse for the FI system (behind the main fuse panel on a brown with white stripe wire) would intermittently loose contact inside the fuse holder, resulting in the fuel pump not getting it's 12V from the dual relay. This was hard to diagnose because it was not constant. Changing out the fuse holder to a new, better design cured the problem for me.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Post by jimincalif »

Yes the link to my description should help. I've had no starting trouble since then.

Also be sure to open up and clean the inline connectors in the red and brown wires. These wires go to the starter and are located behind the alternator.
1980 FI Spider