1980 fiat marelli distributor EI rebuild pics

Gotta love that wiring . . .
sigkadetm
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat spider 2000

1980 fiat marelli distributor EI rebuild pics

Post by sigkadetm »

Does anyone have instructions or pictures for a marelli distributor rebuild? 1980 fiat 2000 EI.
GrantAB

Re: 1980 fiat marelli distributor EI rebuild pics

Post by GrantAB »

I was going to post this same question...seems no one has any answers....send me a e-mail and maybe we can figure it out..I have already bought several of the parts that I needed...like bearings and oil seal.just need to start reassembling it..
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

Rebuilding these things has a few quirks. the biggest issue is removing the pin at the bottom of the shaft. It is very easy to flair the end and make it impossible to remove. pressing it out is the best way. keep track of things as you take it apart and make sure it gets back together the same way.
When you remove the advance weights, keep track of where the springs go. they are not the same. when puting on the mag pickup, there is an up and a down. the aftermarket pickups have a lot of wire lead on them...definitely a pain to get tidy. make sure you leave enough slack for the advance.
The slide plate for the advance weights can develop grooves and ridges that restrict the movement, so check that out as well.
Lastly, make sure the dizzy is set to #3 cylinder when at TDC. I probably has some pix disassembled, but no play by play on how to do it.
GrantAB

Post by GrantAB »

Azruss, Thanks for the reply...I wish that I could remember how it came apart, but I got it in a box in pieces..I am missing one advance spring but think I'll just get an advance kit for a GM HEI distributor and use those springs..any pictures you have would be appreciated....Thank you
azruss

Post by azruss »

Most repair manuals have a blow up of the dizzy. Even the points ones that are cambox mounts have about the same bearing set-up. Sorry i dont have any pix of the bearings. this dizzy is an 80 FI and has 2 bearings. You can see the bottom bearing in the last pix. the washers are stacked as the came of the shaft, so the top one goes back on first. Hope this helps
GrantAB

Post by GrantAB »

Azruss, Thank you very much for the pictures.showing where the washers go was the info I needed...Got my bearings from a dealer in texas..used on skateboards...$3.95 for 2 bearings including shipping
Your car is a: 1982 131 Superbrava warmed 2.0 litre.

Post by 131 »

azruss wrote:Rebuilding these things has a few quirks. the biggest issue is removing the pin at the bottom of the shaft.
It's been about 20 years since I've done one, but isn't it a tapered pin and will only come out one way?

azruss wrote:Lastly, make sure the dizzy is set to #3 cylinder when at TDC. I probably has some pix disassembled, but no play by play on how to do it.
Don't you mean #4?
Mick.

'82 2litre 131, rally cams, IDFs & headers.
azruss

Post by azruss »

aye, mate! I stand corrected.
divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Post by divace73 »

the no.3 puzzled me as well????
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-