turn signal help please

Gotta love that wiring . . .
81SPIDERMATT
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

turn signal help please

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

ok new bulbs... left turn signal works..right does not...all other lights work... voltage at flasher unit ( i am assuming because left turn signal works)...on the right side voltage at front turn signal light 11.4 to 12.... voltage at rear light is 2.6... would a bad circuit board cause this... where are the grounds in the rear for the lights... i can feel the flashing unit ticking when left turn signal is on but not when right is on.... what is next as far as troubleshooting goes..... thanks for your help .. i have a wiring diagram but do not really know how to read it....
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: turn signal help please

Post by spider2081 »

A few thoughts:
It is the connection throught the bulbs that makes the flasher click. If current can't flow through both front & rear bulbs the flasher will not work properly.
There is a 12 pin connector at base of steering column that the rear bulb connects through that the front does not use. Inspect and clean this connector
The right rear light assembly connect through the left rear light assembly Inspect and clean both connections.
The ground is also in these connectors. Then both sides ground through the other connector on the left rear light assembly near the left light. The ground itself is probably ok because the left side works. The connection between the right and left light assemblies could be an issue.
The light sockets are riveted to the Printed Circuit boards. These connections can loossen and corrode. Remove the right side PC board and inspect. Flex the boad while in your hand to see if you can make light flash.
I would suspect a poor connection somewhere in the above mentioned. Usually a bad flasher does not affect one side only.
Also usually in these cars a bad Hazard Switch does not effect on side turn signal only.
Hope this is some help
81SPIDERMATT

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

GREAT ... THANKS SO MUCH... ok 12 pin connector checked and cleaned ... found ground near left rear light cleaned and put back together... wiring to left rear signal tested good... cleaned and checked all connections on left side... tomorrow will be taking back apart right side and checking connections as well as rivets for light... will keep you posted as to what i find... thanks again for your invaluable help..... off topic where do i get a list of vendors ... so far have only dealt with iap and checked out mark;s site.... thanks again..........matt
81SPIDERMATT

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

also can i drill out a rivet and replace with small nut and bolt to make connection better or perhaps another trick if it turns out to be that..or will i need to replace ???
81SPIDERMATT

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

ok learning as we go... the circuit boards for the tail lights appear to be a fancy way of less wiring ... i have tracked the problem down to the left circuit board...looking at the board i believe electricity is transfered along the green surface of the board... the bottom contact i believe is the one that powers the right side turn signal... checking for continuity along that green surface i found a crack in the board... left side of the crack power...right side of the crack no power... not wanting to be the owner that just adds wires i am looking for a way to bridge the gap... has anyone had luck with soldering the board...is there some type of magic paint or filler that would work.... just do not have the money right now to replace...
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

I have soldered many boards, none Fiat. Clean away the coating with something, I use a tiny wire wheel on my dremel. They get a soldering iron with a pretty fine tip. Get a tiny amount of solder on the tip, then stick it to the crack.

Wiring around a crack not a big deal either and works well.
81SPIDERMATT

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

PERFECT.... I did a little of both kinda laid several fine copper wires over the crack after sanding .. did the crack fill and jumpers.. and it works like a charm... all back together ... gave me an opportunity to clean and shine yet another piece of the car.... i feel silly not realizing the green was sheilding what i was trying to connect.... sanding for a few seconds it became apparent that this was a very important step... thanks you for your help......Matt
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Great to hear you stuck with it and fixed your turn signals. I know the rivet was not the problem but if you suspect them in the future this is how I have succesfully fixed a couple.
I use Rosin electrical solder flux and electrical solder with rosin core flux inside the solder.
Clean the PC boad sealer off the board near the rivet or terminal of the light socket and the light socket.
Heat the area with a solder gun or an Iron. Clean the area with the paste flux.
When its clean the solder will flow nice and shiny on the surfaces. This is called tinning. Once you get the solder to flow coat the board and the terminal.
Solder the terminal directly to the board.
I actually do this to every point on the PC board that a rivet is making the electrical connection.
The boards are very reliable once you do this.
81SPIDERMATT

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

that is very helpful... playing with the boards i thinks i may have loosened one of the rivets for reverse light on left side... it is very gratifying to have fixed it... was a little overwhelmed at first... patience and help from this site was the key.. thanks again
digitech
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Post by digitech »

I drilled out all of my rivets and replaced them with stainless bolts/nuts.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I drilled out all of my rivets and replaced them with stainless bolts/nuts.
Very good ideal !